Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

FIRST BLOOD

Old 09-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Spike

Default FIRST BLOOD

hunted the last 3 days in maryland . being new to crossbows,the excalibur exocetnever ceases to amaze. finnaly got to pull the trigger on a doe monday from the ground. took coup on two more doe tues. from the summit goliath. even had 4 gobblers bed down 20 yards from me yesterday, what a hoot ! didn't care the way the pse brute expandibles performed, might have to go back to the G 5's. goodluck all !!!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: FIRST BLOOD

Will somebody please translate this so this old man can tell what he said .
Martin
Old 09-19-2007, 09:22 PM

And us guys at the age of 31 too!! Not sure if he killed three deer, or made three deer bleed![&:]
Old 09-20-2007, 05:58 AM
Spike

sorry guys, maybe i'm too old. taking (coup) is an old indian expression-meaning " i let them walk ".or i could have easily harvested..should have said so i guess. at 62 and coming back from reumatoid arthritis and dealing with mild c.o.p.d., it a joy to be in the woods observing nature once again. it is such a priviledge. each time i go out i am fascinated by nature . yesterday was slow but at 25 feet up a v'd white oak,there was wonder in the fog that hung around until 9:30,the fox squirrel that came down the tree and stopped abruptly to let a box turtle pass and also the nearby crowsuttering in never before heard soundsand pitches to these ears,softly to one another . last year i sold my recurve and compound to take up the crossbow.the Excalibur has not dissapointed.it is a great tool for someone like me. no one helps me drag, or butcher....i am not a rich person, just an everyday guy and cannot go on expensive paid hunts for caribou and whatnot.. this will have to be my last year on this lease because of cost..when iam unable to climb out of bed and experiance these things, life will be less worth living. watching ralph & vicky or jim shockey on tv is nice but not the real pill*good hunting all !
Old 09-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Spike

Thanks for the translation. You are right, it is such a pleasure to enjoy nature - especially for us retired guys. I worked 30 years as a teacher and principal and was so happy to leave all that behind and go hunting instead of to school with 800 students !!

Continued good luck - our Illinois season opens Oct. 1 and this will be my first year hunting with a crossbow.