Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Blood, sweat, but mostly blood >

Blood, sweat, but mostly blood

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blood, sweat, but mostly blood

Old 05-11-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Blood, sweat, but mostly blood

Just got back from the shooting range. Picked up some great plains bullets and cci primers. Setup @ 100 yards and got my rest all setup and loaded the x-150 with 90 grains RS,cci primer and 385 great plains bullet. First shot was about 4" high and 1/2" to the left. After all the shots i took today with that rifle, including getting it dailed in with Triple 7, i shot 9 shots, using 3 different loads,primers. 3 different loads left 3 bullets in one hole on all 3 loads i tried. It loved 80 grains Triple 7 and 385 great plains bullet. So now im going to do more shooting Monday but this time, with the 385 grain Bullshop bullets and just came in the mail today! Rifle shot like a dream today so im going to be pulling the scope and putting it away for a while.

News on the .45, 70 grains triple 7, 2 out of 3 bullets into the same hole. 225 grain powerbelts. After shooting that about 6 shots i went ahead and loaded up 80 grains triple 7 and a new bullet to test.... 285 grain great plains bullet. I havnt had much luck finding bullets that shot, but holy cow! Those great plains bullets shot like a dream and were exactly dead on @ 100. The first Two bullets went into the same hole while the 3ed and final was a total miss. After my second shot, i had checked the target, went and reloaded and pull the hammer back.... Doesnt stay, smack it a few times and its still not catching, take the lock off and fudge, The tip of the sear broke off and would not catch the tumbler. Well i say, i dont want to drive home with a load in the rifle " good thing too bcuz a cop pulled me over"

So i go and thumb back the hammer,let it go to fire and it doesnt, pull it back again and POW! and im doubled over with my thumb in my mouth and taste that salty blood taste. Pull my thumb out and my thumb is just pouring blood. Once it clotted up i found that the hammer had pushed back into the thumb from the recoil, went under my nail and pulled it back some. After that i took a break and went back to shooting the x-150. Besides that, both rifles did an excellent job and the new rifle rest worked out great. Now i got some new bullets to try out in the x-150 on monday.
Bullshop did a great job on the bullets also.

X-150 prefers Federal primers when im using triple 7 powder.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Blood, sweat, but mostly blood

well at least the rifle shot well... too bad about the sear breaking off like that. I am sure it will be an easy fix. I have some of them Hornady Great Plains I need to try in some different rifles..
Old 05-11-2007, 09:18 PM

Yeah i'll be robbing some parts off my step brothers bobcat. I'll pick up some spare parts at the rendezvous this year just so i have them on hand. I love those great plains bullets, 14 shots with the x150 and no swabbing and it wasnt throwing them off. also did great in the 45.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pain heals, women dig scares and gloy lasts forever.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

I've had great results using great plains bullets. I was shooting a 410 gr GP last hunting season. With 90 gr. of 777, it would print 1.5" groups at 100 on a very regular basis.Havent' tried any of the bull shop bullets yet. I mighthave toget some in the near future to play with.