Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 What Happens If A String Breaks? >

What Happens If A String Breaks?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What Happens If A String Breaks?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default What Happens If A String Breaks?

I always worried about the least little bit of wear on my String or Cables.On my Bow I have to send it off to have it worked on and it always cost at least $100.Gets kind of High $$ after few times.

Anyway what usually happens if you break a String or Cable? the only thing I ever broke a String on was a Recurve,no problem.

big rockpile
Old 09-19-2007, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Happens If A String Breaks?

Hopefully just the string, but anything other than an Excal. It may ruin cables and limbs and if yer holding it you could get hurt![]
Old 09-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a new factory string break on my Termiator last year. No damage other than losing the cable slide. But it sounded like a rifle shot. Now make my own strings and cables. Stings for my compound took a bit of practice and a jig (home made); the split end cables are also tricky. But the flemish strings for my Vortex are easy to make. Can now get one done in about a half hour. Lots of info out there on the subject. I did some searching and just made practivce strings for a while using cheap materials and dental floss for serving. Then I bought the proper supplies and flew.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

By the way, you're getting ripped off on price. A new set of strings and cables for my compound costs about $45 to include shipping. Don't cost $50 to put them them on. I would at least learn to do that. I made a bow press from a used boat winch, 2 boat trailer rollers and some scrap iron. Befor that I used my bow crank to change strings.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can change unbroken string on compound xbows w/o split limbs w/o a press. Hortons and Parkers I think, all have solid limbs. You cock the bow and then install two dowels w/ stout string in slot behind wheels, tied tight. Let string down slow and voila! Don't skimp on string or dowels, lots of pressure on them.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Cossack

By the way, you're getting ripped off on price. A new set of strings and cables for my compound costs about $45 to include shipping. Don't cost $50 to put them them on. I would at least learn to do that. I made a bow press from a used boat winch, 2 boat trailer rollers and some scrap iron. Befor that I used my bow crank to change strings.
Well this is with Ten Point.Last time it cost me $50 to ship.They replaced the Spring,String,and Felt onmy ACCUDRAW.Cleaned and Checked everything.Replaced a Screw.$100.

big rockpile
Old 09-22-2007, 07:16 AM

How often do you need to change the string?

I thought mine looked rather ragged, but every time I went into a proshop, I was told it was fine. I went to several shops. I ended up changing it last year, but I was still told it was ok. The cost was something like $25.I think that string was 6-7 years old.