Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Breaks

Old 05-06-2009, 07:14 PM

Default Breaks

What breaks on CBs the most and how do you reduce the chances of it happening?
Old 05-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Breaks

If normal wear is considered breakage, then I'd have to say the string. Serving wear renders string potentially weak and dangerous. And same goes for strand to strand chaffing from failure to wax properly. Wax the string frequently and keep an eye on the serving so that the nock does not wear through it into the string.
On my recurve crossbows, I rotate the string end for end to extend serving wear. Also get rid of string after 3 re-servings.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

AS cossack said, string serving.when mine goes to point i need it reserved,i just put on new string because bow shop does not do or rec reserving a string anyhow.i use waxeddental floss on my serving to reduce it wearing out.i wrap it around serving and it lasts a few days of practice, then i put fresh on.

my horton didget splits in limbs, my bowshop found them while putting on new string.they said it came from age,my bow is about 10 years old.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arrows...until I learned not to shoot for groups
Old 06-04-2009, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

".when mine goes to point i need it reserved,i just put on new string because bow shop does not do or rec reserving a string anyhow."
Could it be that your bow shop either does not know how to reserve a crossbow or makes more money selling strings, sproulman? Recommending not to re serve a string isn't based on any information I'm aware of. I make and reserve my own strings. I reserve up to 3 times but make it a point to do so before the serving wears through to the string part. Reserving costs a fraction of the cost of a new string and can be done relatively easily, assuming any mechanical ability. But, one has to know something that the serving on a crossbow has to be very tight...much more so than on a bowstring for a vert....or the hooks will tend to separate the serving.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:23 AM
Spike

Cossack, My string is holding up really well for shooting almost every day. Re-serving is something I might want to do someday. Is it possible to serve the string while it is still on the limbs? If you take the limbs off to reserve, do you have a holder to keep it upright? Is that something I could make myself? I already saw the frames that some have made with the turn screws.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Banned

Reserving your string compliments of DNK!

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.a...005725&mpage=1
Old 06-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ischa. Can help you make a string stretcher but it's not necessary. PM sent.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Spike

thanks to both of you!