Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Why do you use a crossbow? >

Why do you use a crossbow?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Why do you use a crossbow?

Old 12-24-2006, 04:18 PM

Default RE: Why do you use a crossbow?

I don't like treestands (they always seem rickety to me, I don't like setting them up andd I don't like heights) and I prefer to hunt on the ground using natural cover. This style of hunting is more conducive to crossbow hunting. I do ground hunt with a vertical bow as well but I normally have to use a blind to avoid the deer seeing me drawing (which defeats the purpose of hunting au natural.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:27 PM

Because I wanna Actually, I think I owe it to the deer I hunt to use a crossbow. I'm more accurate, can use heavier arrows, and deal with less trajectory than I would with my 50lb 25" drawlength vertical bow setup.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:58 PM

Iam a avid firearm enthusiast and hunter. I recently picked up a crossbow at the local hunting store to hold me off till spring and finish out the season, i recently took a hrdy doe with it and now im hooked there a healthy medium between a rifle and a bow and even the youngest and oldest person can enjoy them. Just like teamster said there alot cheaper than a compound bow and less error if you do everything right. Ya no i got a lot of crqp for buyin one cuz my friends believe there made for cripples only but if they only new what they were missing.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:57 PM

Crossbows have lots of history. After the throwing stick and the bow, came the crossbow(stock and trigger assembly). Using a 2200 year old invention to hunt is fascinating.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

"generate power equivalent to some firearms is also fascinating."
" A healthy medium between a gun and a bow"

Sorry, I don't buy this at all! There is no comparison between the two, other than the stock, which was correctly identified as having originated on the xbows about 2000 yrs before firearms were invented.

Haven't seen either of you post here or anywhere else for that matter, and while I don't mean to come off as offensive, you won't make many friends here w/ statements like that!

If you both are xbowers, welcome to the forum. If not, bowsite is full of similar statements.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Hartshot, no offence but the statement "healthy medium between a rifle and a bow" is what the anti's would like to hear. Unfortunatley the morons that gave you "crqp" are the ones that want you to say that and they'll eat us up over that.
Woodstocksal, I don't know what to say to your statements other than I don't know why you would say that????[&:][&:][&:] You have one post and its not a good one.
As awsucks said, IF you are both xbowers, welcome to the forum.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:19 AM

Like said above, when I want to kill something out to three hundred yards I use a firearm like my 204. But when I want to do around 150 I use my similar simple leverage equivalent CB!?!?!?![&:]
Old 12-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Troll alert! LOL!
Old 01-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

doegirl summed it up..because she can shoot it better..

most i see that use crossbow,NEVER were any good at shooting a recurve or compound..

most never were good hunters with bow,so ,crossbow is like the inline muzzleloader..flintlock hunters could shoot their guns but the ones that could not well, went to inlines..

so, crossbow is something that helps a hunter that is not good at bow hunting or shooting bow..

many say they have health problems pulling a bow..crossbow is great thing to them, i agree..i see many hunters in their 70 now hunting with crossbow but most i know never were any good at shooting a bow, so, thats big help to them..

sad part is i see a lot of young hunters with SO CALLED medical problems shooting a crossbow because you can get permit..some do have problem but MOST are using anything as excuse to get a crossbow permit..

those i seethat are young with permit are same ones that NEVER could shoot a bow or were awful hunters..

this is what world is turning into now,truly disabled get bad rap from the ones that are SO CALLED DISABLED,because they were never ever any good at hunting..

i hope my post is not offensive to the TRULY DISABLED crossbow user,that was not my intent ..if you are truly disabled and cant pull a bow,i am on your side BUT from what i am seeing,MANY are not disabled..
Old 01-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Ole sproulman, I think your statement is pretty sweeping. I know that I can shoot a compound with more accuracy than with my xbow assuming I don't use a rest. On the other hand my xbow allows for more consistancy and less things to worry about or to go wrong like a string being caught up on clothing or debris getting caught up in my cams etc.
I think that the xbow allows the people with "disabilities" to be more comfortable and consistant. Certainly there are some maybe many that turned to xbows because they wanted to ensure a cleaner kill but many of the more aged deserve to still hunt even if they cannot pull back and hold a bow string anymore.
When its really cold and I am wearing lots more clothing I will always pick up my xbow because I can shoot better with it with bulky clothing.
You are correct in some ways in your statement to be sure. But if we can get more people in the field, especially the young ones, where is the sin? I see no special pride in shooting a compound well as opposed to shooting a crossbow. Yes a compound it not easy to master but then again its not everyone's cup of tea and thats ok.
Don't get me wrong sproulman I am not disagreeing completely with you, just a little! The good doctors have been assigned the duty of refering to someone as disabled not you or I.

Quick Reply: Why do you use a crossbow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.