Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Why do you use a crossbow? >

Why do you use a crossbow?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Why do you use a crossbow?

Old 12-04-2006, 06:37 AM

Default Why do you use a crossbow?

I have a 2 year permit for my crossbow (shoulders), and I am just wondering why some of you use crossbows. Is that too nosey?
Old 12-04-2006, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why do you use a crossbow?

Well lets see............... I use a crossbow because I never had the opportunity to shoot a compound bow when I was young. I got in to hunting in my early teens and crossbows are legal here in Ohio for anyone to use, and it was easy and convenient for me to pick one up and learn to shoot it. I keep telling myself I am going to buy a nice compound and learn to shoot it good enough to where I feel comfortable hunting with it. ( I have shot friends bows and of course not set up for me but I'm not bad, I can keep it on the target) It's just some of the bows I see are so damn expensive for a quality bow and set up. Like I said one of these days I'll do it. Maybe this spring I'll break down and buy one and by fall be ready to hit the woods. [/align]
Old 12-04-2006, 08:16 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I started because during the colder months I found I didn't like shooting my compounds because of the bulky clothing. I found that I shoot less accurately with a comound when wearing bulky winter clothing. Problem is that once I got shooting my Exocet I liked it so much I hunt with it a lot. The bonus of using the xbow was that I found that I found that I was less likely to screw up a shot.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot all kinds of bows,I often hunt with a crossbow because I like them,as far as hunting is concerned I just dont find the differances some people seem to,we had a suburban hunt in town this year with no limit because the deer were causing to many problems and car wrecks.They issued 100 permits and would not let us use X-bows and they had a real practical simple easy test of hitting a deer in the vitals at 20 yds[used a standard 3 D target] only 57 of the 100 actually qualified to hunt and they only harvested 47 deer which I got 4 of[and none of the wounded ones were mine]. We had a number of wounded deer around that I personally knew of, which I really do not like.
now that the evidence is all in I will go in front of the council and tell them not allowing crossbows was a not the best way to handle it as I believe we would have less deer wounded and more killed, and if they would limit it to crossbows next year we would have better results all round. Lee
Old 12-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started out w/ a Whammo in the '60s. Just another bulldog that barked here and bit over yonder, lol. I've had several over the years, kinda off and on. Now that I live where they are legal to hunt w/ and have 4 deer limit and 4 1/2 months to hunt, they are the cats meow! I used to use a vert but dinged my rotator cuff and that was the end of those, and another sport I was into, muzzle loading competition. I can shoot the recurves offhand and spend alot of time burning arrows.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:42 AM

Because i am old, falling apart and can no longer pull a 70 pound recurve.The good state of OK allows us to hunt with a crossbowproviding we have a doctors certificate.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got mine to bag a bunch of wild women! U know whitetails! Its better fer me to shoot at this time of life and i am more accurate. I use a rest on every stand.[8D]
Old 12-04-2006, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

My state allows them for late archery season , and I prefer them to vertical bows .
Old 12-04-2006, 10:35 AM

For me it is too painful after I shoot even a few shots with a Vertical Bow. So since I can't maintain the kind of accuracy I feel necessary to properly kill an animal with a Vert Bow I use a Crossbow.

I injured my shoulder several times while in the military and nowArthur is really haunting me, artheritis that is. The doctors say they cant do anything for me short of replacing the shoulder joint entirely. Right at this time that is not an option I am pursuing.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:42 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Bad shoulders and tired body. Rich

Quick Reply: Why do you use a crossbow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.