Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New arrows

Old 12-02-2006, 03:49 PM

Default New arrows

Hi guys,

Just bought a half dozen carbon arrows, the ones that come with the right stuff accessory pkg from excal. They came out to about 60 buck canadian lol...anyway i was just wondering if they would shoot the same as my gold tips that have the 4" vanes...i know these ones are made by gold tip too but they got 5" vanes so i was wondering...i dont wanna miss the target an launch another $8 into the bush lol...any help is appreciated

Thx,
Mike
Old 12-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New arrows

The Excals have alum inserts and weigh 360 gr. If your Gt's have the same, they will be real close. If the Gt's have brass inserts, they will weigh about 431 gr and you will have a couple inches difference in poi. All of this is assuming 100 gr tips. I much prefer the 4" vane and brass inserts. Don't know the current conversion rate, but I pay $34.50 per half dozen plus shipping. !0 pt sells the nearly same arrow thru Cabelas if you got one of them up thar.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:07 PM

What do you find is the dif between the 4" w/brass inserts and the excal ones?

Old 12-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Better accuracy w/ b-heads, better penetration, shoot quieter, less vibration, easier on the xbow. I changed all of my stock Excals to the 431 gr. [18 of em]. Danny Miller, the US rep for Excal turned me onto them, don't think he even carries the stock Excals, and Ten Point uses them. I don't know what bow you have, but those 360 gr are too light for compounds. If your next question is how much fps difference, lol, [mine was] figure 1 fps for every 5 gr difference in weight, so 71gr/5=14 fps slower. Edited to add: The shafts are the same on all three, all made by GT. The 10 pts weigh around 420 gr vs 431 gr I think because they have a plastic nock vs aluminum, no real difference to speak of. The 431's have about 20% FOC which is supposedly according to legend, lol on the high side. I changed my FOC to 15% and could see no difference in group size at 50 yds. The fact that Ten Point sells them as standard issue should tell you something, as they are into quality and performance big time. Hope this helps ya some!
Old 12-02-2006, 04:31 PM

Do you mean 14fps slower if you use the excals or the 4" GT's ? By the way im shootin an excal phoenix. thx anyway
Old 12-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Phoenix??? Now yer talkin!! Need more info. They are all GT arrows. Do you have brass inserts in the one's w/ 4" vanes?? What string are you using?
Old 12-02-2006, 09:10 PM

I use the excel string that comes with the bow and the GT w/4" vanes have the brass inserts...what will the difference in fps be and what is FOC lol ive heard it before but either i forgot what it means or i just never knew lol

Old 12-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

FOC=front of center. It refers to how far forward of center your arrow balances at. Yours being the same as mine is about 20%. You can do it the easy way, mark middle of arrow from nock, [10"] balance the arrow and mark that [14"] subtract 10 from 14 = 4 X 5% [per inch]=20% The rule of thumb for carbons is supposed to be between 11 and 18% from what I've read. I did some experimenting, worrying mine was too high at 20% and reduced them to 15% by screwing 1" threaded rod in nocks [25 gr] Could see no difference in group size to 50 yds. How do yours shoot?
I'm using the same string on my Phoenix and am somewhere between 280 and 290 fps, because the Excel costs you a few fps over the FFF. You can get the advertised speed for Phoenix by going to stock 360 gr arrows and a FFF string, but it isn't worth it in my book. I'm playing w/ 2" Blazers now which puts my FOC to about 22.5% and they seem to be doing remarkable, but the jury isn't in yet, lol. If you cruise the Excal forum, you'll see not many are using the 360 gr stock arrows.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:04 AM

do you measure the FOC with the field tip/broadhead or without it. Im thinkin with it but i dont really know lol

Old 12-03-2006, 07:15 AM

I dont think it really matters now lol...right after i posted that last msg i measured the FOC w/broadhead (Muzzy 100gr 3 blade) and without.

If its without then they balance at 9 inches, so the FOC would be 5% or -5%...lol i guess its with the broadheads
If its with the broadhead, they balance at 13 so the FOC would be 15%, which i guess is perfect lol...keep in mind in talkin bout the excal arrows not the GT 4" ones.

Quick Reply: New arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.