Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 hey guys...am I at fault...(same as in bowhunting forum) >

hey guys...am I at fault...(same as in bowhunting forum)

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

hey guys...am I at fault...(same as in bowhunting forum)

Old 10-22-2006, 10:43 PM

Default hey guys...am I at fault...(same as in bowhunting forum)

Hey guys...I've had a name here before but its been a long time since I've been on here...ne wayz thats besides the point...everyone...I feel bad...I've been shooting a compound for a long time(bout 6 years)...I've never shot a deer w/ my bow but have w/ a crossbow (1st deer/doe). Now anyone please don't take this the wrong way but I'm not too terribly accurate w/ my bow...I've already lost a buck through those 6 years and don't get me wrong but I looked day and night for a couple weeks and never could find him...so here's the thing I wanna ask all of you...am I at fault for switching over to a crossbow because I want accuracy and a quick clean kill??? I feel that my confidence is pretty much shot w/ my compound...I just don't want to deal w/ that feeling of not knowing if my last buck is still alive or I wasted it because I'm a fool...I can shoot great w/ a crossbow but not so good w/ a bow...please help...switch or practice even harder??? ~RedBaron10~
Old 10-23-2006, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hey guys...am I at fault...(same as in bowhunting forum)

Eh red baron long time no see its been a long time for me as well close to 6 yrs as well for me and let me tell you things have changed in here. As for changing over i have done the same thing but i missed a monster and since then went back to crossbows. Anddid i slame a monster a couple of weeks ago oh everyone the weight is 150 in my freezer. But yes red baron just keep practising and then try your luck next year as im going to do the same thing. I plan on going all out with a new comp bow and going nuts this coming spring but for this fall all deer are game with my xbow , good luck baron.aka(cudel or cudel13).
Old 10-23-2006, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

RedBaron10: Re:"I can shoot great w/ a crossbow but not so good w/ a bow...please help...switch or practice even harder??? ~RedBaron10"

That's a question only you can answer. I'm of the opinion that if you can't take which ever piece of archery equipment you choose out in the field and keep all your shots in an area the size of a coffee cup, don't go until you can. You might find that 10-20 yds is your limit, which is fine, just keep your shots limited to those ranges. Almost any average hunter can go kill a deer. The better than average ones are able to pass up questionable shots rather than take a chance. The "best" hunters are the ones that don't lose deer because of the three "P's". Patience, Persistance, and Practise. Good Luck!!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to tell you how the calf ate the cabbage! If u haven't became a good shot with a compound in 6 years i would sell all of that stuff. Keep or get myself a CB an outfit and go deer hunting!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:44 AM

If you're not confident in your vertical skills, then you'd be crazy (and unethical!) to hunt with a vertical bow. You should only be hunting with a crossbow and just keep practicing with your vertical bow until you feel that you're proficient enough with it.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:47 AM

Asawshucks said only you can answer that. I hunt with a CB because I like deer hunting in the fall, jeep summed it it when he said he plans on going "nuts" next spring. If you shot along bow you have to practice alot during the week and do it all summer long to keep your form and skill up. I do not enjoy spending my summer in the back yard, I enjoy hunting. If you get a CB you take out alot of variables that the long bow community have to deal with. I think it is a shame that the long bow makers do not sell "packages" that are proven with there bow and can be put on and know work. With a compound them boys have to do alot of trial and error on which rest, arrows and so on. If you buy a good CB package you can take it out of the box and go back in your yard and be busting arrows in no time. If you just don't like all the things that come with compound shooting, then yes, get a CB. But if you want to go "nuts" and spend all summer in the back yard trying to put three arrows in a four inch circlethen long bow is the way. I can put my CB down for a month, pick it up and put three arrows in a one inch circle at twenty yards no problem.

And to answer you question, no your not at fault. I have a martin dream cast that I love to shoot its alot of fun. But I never took it out in the field because I could never get 100 percent with it. I could put say six arrows in a four inch circle, not the best but can get it done. But I would always have one or two just be way off course. I felt I owe it to the deer to have a better shot. Its also a confidence thing, I have it with my CB, would bet money, but with my martin I would not bet a friends money.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red Baron,

There's nothing wrong with going with the CB because you're not confident w/a compound. In fact, I would commend you for it - it shows you care about being a responsible hunter and only want to take deer cleanly. I've hunted with a compound & crossbow both, but recently have been taking my CB out most of the time. Why? Because I'm a much better shot with it than the compound. I've wounded deer before, and after a couple bad experiences, I've decided to do all I can to never let this happen again. What I've done is 1) hunt with a crossbow 2) limit my shots to 25 yards max.

IfI were you,I would go hunting with a CB, while keep on practicing with your compound. If/when youget to a point that youfeel very confident w/the compound and want to give it a shot again, go for it! Just limitthe range of your shots- i.e., if you feel confidenttarget shooting at 30 yards, limit your "real" shots to 20, or even 15. I feel very confident w/my compoundat 15 yards orcloser, butnot soconfident at 20 or 25- therefore I hunt with my crossbow to give me a longer range.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

i think you're showing a love of the sport and a respect for our quarry. there is nothing wrong with hunting with a xbow because you're more accurate with it. in the off season practice with the vertical bow if you wish and hunt with it only when you have become proficient with it. in the mean time.....hunt and enjoy your xbow. good luck.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:54 AM
Typical Buck

No, your not at fault. Alot of people might say your a wimp for switching to a crossbow, but you need to ignore them. Don't worry about what other people say about you and what you hunt with. Those same people say that about crossbows and then they use rifles to hunt which are the cheapest things to hunt with. You just need to practice more with the compound bow and get better and then you can hunt with both if you'd want to.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:22 PM

Xbows are fun. I've hunted with both, but there are a lot of situations that a CB is just better. I'm pretty good hitting foam with my compound, but man it's a whole different world in a hunting situation.

Funny I haven’t hunted with my CB for a few years, and I am shooting my compound better than ever. It is tuned better than ever and yet I just can't get the CB out of my head. So dust it off I did, and set it back up.

It is harder to take a deer with a compound, and consequently a bigger accomplishment,but I swear it isn't any more fun!

Just so I don’t get slammed here: I think it is a huge accomplishment to get a deer with a CB, just not as difficult as with a compound, just like a compound is easier than getting one with a traditional bow.

What I enjoy most about bowhunting is the same regardless of what type of bow I use. I love being out there. I like watching deer that have no idea I’m there. I like watching deer and other critter running around unstressed. I do like harvesting a deer with an arrow. Bowhunting is bowhunting regardless of the bow.

Quick Reply: hey guys...am I at fault...(same as in bowhunting forum)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.