HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hey guys...am I at fault...(same as in bowhunting forum)
Old 10-23-2006, 09:50 AM
oldsmellhound
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hey guys...am I at fault...(same as in bowhunting forum)

Red Baron,

There's nothing wrong with going with the CB because you're not confident w/a compound. In fact, I would commend you for it - it shows you care about being a responsible hunter and only want to take deer cleanly. I've hunted with a compound & crossbow both, but recently have been taking my CB out most of the time. Why? Because I'm a much better shot with it than the compound. I've wounded deer before, and after a couple bad experiences, I've decided to do all I can to never let this happen again. What I've done is 1) hunt with a crossbow 2) limit my shots to 25 yards max.

IfI were you,I would go hunting with a CB, while keep on practicing with your compound. If/when youget to a point that youfeel very confident w/the compound and want to give it a shot again, go for it! Just limitthe range of your shots- i.e., if you feel confidenttarget shooting at 30 yards, limit your "real" shots to 20, or even 15. I feel very confident w/my compoundat 15 yards orcloser, butnot soconfident at 20 or 25- therefore I hunt with my crossbow to give me a longer range.