Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Your Hunt Today!  Lets Hear it! >

Your Hunt Today! Lets Hear it!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Your Hunt Today! Lets Hear it!

Old 10-25-2006, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your Hunt Today! Lets Hear it!

Hey Hotburn!! This is a good thread, I'm glad you thought of it and started it!!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:23 PM

Thanks Dan. I am glad it is getting used and people are keeping each other up to date. I went out tonight and did some more scouting on the new swamp land spot. Mainly walked the outside to see if I could find some good trial going in and out and was able to find three real nice ones. After I walked the parameter I sat in ground blind until sunset and then when I left saw three big deer way out in the field, to dark to tell what they were.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I don't feel so bad going bearless now. My baits haven't been hit in two days and my buddy the guide had a client that he placed way up on a mntn at what he calls the Bear Bathtub, a small pond that usually has lots of bears there and nothing came in the last three days, which jibes w/ the solunar tables. Speaking of which, anybody got any info to share on them?? Maybe you can start a thread.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:10 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Dnk

ORIGINAL: atcfisherman

I hope the yearlings were old enough to make it on their own.
With global warming reducing snow depth, which is the major limiting factor in the survival of deer, the answer to your question is yes and you're question is not a nice one. Please think ahead before you try to guilt someone. The answer comes from myself, a forestry technician and a hunter of nearly thirty years.
Well, excuse me. I was not trying to "guilt" someone. I was just basing my information on what happens at our deer lease. I have only been hunting 5 years (I fish mostly), so maybe I don't have all the hunting knowledge, but that is why I am on this forum. And, furthermore, we don't get snow down here in southeast Texas, so that is not the limiting factor in our deers survival rates. [:@]
Old 10-26-2006, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take it easy friend, we ain't trying to rattle yer cage. Everyone has their ways of hunting and harvesting deer and other game. I live in sw Tn. not much different than yer Tx. area. Most all of the fawns are born in May, so they're 5 months old when Bow season opens. No one that i knowed of shoots any of them if they have spots or the nanny with them. You couldn't pay me to shoot a nanny with spottys or the spottys!
Old 10-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

You couldn't pay me to shoot a nanny with spottys or the spottys!
Amen, Smoky Pole!
Old 10-27-2006, 12:01 AM

Well it was raining tonight but I could not resist and went to wal-mart on the way out and bought a tree stand umbrella for ten bucks. Iwas in the tree and put it up and would have to say it worked pretty good, at least I was dry! Any ways, I looked to my left behind me and seen a deer come out and was heading away from me across the field, to far away to tell if it was abuck or doe but since it was alone I assumed it was a buck. I let it go about half way out cause I wanted to see if it might head for dad but it looked like it was starting to turn and not go his way at all. So I picked up the horns and gave it a hard rattle since he was about three hundred yards away and was able to stop him. Helooked for a while and the started to move away again. Hit the horns once more, and again he stopped faced my direction and then turned back and started to walk away. Well I just went out and upgraded to the "great big can" call and pulled it out and turned it over two times and that boy turned around on a dime and started to trot and wag his tail as he came straight in! It was cool to see him come to my call. Well he made the corner of the corn field and was at twenty yards for about three minuets but he was the little six pointer that I have pics of so I let him pass. It was nice to watch him and the best part was that I was able to see a buck work a scrape close up. I did not even no it was there! Overall a good night!
Old 10-27-2006, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

No hunt today for me, gotta go meet a gal about a 100 acre lease for hunting. Supposedly it has some of everything common to Arkansas, but what really perked my ears up is when she described the 600 lb hogs she see's nearly daily. Now don't get me wrong, I'm kinda taking that weight w/ alot of salt, lol, but still the prospect of hog hunting close by is what I've been looking for. It's hard to find here, as they trap them and feed them out and sell them as a form of income. Another biggie on this deal is the fact that you can only bait or even hunt them year round on private property here. Something else has to be in season to hunt them on public property. So far, I've been not killing alot of bear and deer, can't wait to go not kill abunch of big pigs, lol. Everyday above the grass is a good one!!!
Old 10-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Got to a stand at 3:40 (yeah, yeah, don't say it!) and waited twenty minutes before rattling. In twenty minutes after rattling I saw the top of a deer head(doe) at 180 yds. In ten minutes it started to walk off so I rattled some more and it stopped and tried to figure out where the noise was coming from. Another doe appeared. Five minutes later it started to wander into the woods again so I rattled again and blew a bleat. One came trottling right towards me. Stopped about 80 yards and wouldn't come closer after some more bleating. When it looked away I did one rattle. It turned and went into the wood and came out half an hour later about 50 yards away from where it went in and sixty yards away. She looked around for ten minutes and walked off. Bugger! I wanted to fill a doe tag and take the edge off!
Old 10-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Got to a stand at 3:40 (yeah, yeah, don't say it!) and waited twenty minutes before rattling. In twenty minutes after rattling I saw the top of a deer head(doe) at 180 yds. In ten minutes it started to walk off so I rattled some more and it stopped and tried to figure out where the noise was coming from. Another doe appeared. Five minutes later it started to wander into the woods again so I rattled again and blew a bleat. One came throttling right towards me. Stopped about 80 yards and wouldn't come closer after some more bleating. When it looked away I did one rattle. It turned and went into the wood and came out half an hour later about 50 yards away from where it went in and sixty yards away. She looked around for ten minutes and walked off. Bugger! I wanted to fill a doe tag and take the edge off!
You should have used the Fawn In Distress call!

Quick Reply: Your Hunt Today! Lets Hear it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.