Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Your Hunt Today!  Lets Hear it! >

Your Hunt Today! Lets Hear it!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Your Hunt Today! Lets Hear it!

Old 10-23-2006, 04:40 PM

Default RE: Your Hunt Today! Lets Hear it!

well fellow hunters i joines the ranks of the crossbow hunters elite this past tuesday with a horton legend 175.on saturday evening i thought it was time to try it out.i went to my property and began to wonder where and how this should began.i found a trail coming into a small field away from everyone else and any chances of interruption.about 45 minutes before dark i caught movement to my right where the trail came into the field and out stepped a yearling.as i watched out came another,obviously twins,as they picked and ate mom shows up. she begans to feed and mill about,being on the ground and not behind a blind i was concerned the young ones would see me or wind me in the swirling winds,but i made it through.mom moved about and presented me with a nice broadside shot about 25 yards out.after about an hour we found her.we could not figure out why there was so little sign of blood to follow,one drop here and there very very little but we pressed on.upon finding her we rolled her over to check the exit wound and again we noticed very little blood on the ground.as we field dressed her we found that somehow the arrow had turned or delected on a bone and exited farther back and part of the entrails had actually been pulled up into the exit wound by the arrow upon exit.this explained then why we found so little blood.this i hope will serve as a lesson for younger hunters to always always look until you are certain the animal is dead or survived the hit.we owe the animal that much respect for giving his or her life for our tablefare.this being my first experience with a crossbow and the first trip with the new bow i learned a valuable lesson as well "don't mess with a crossbow you will loose". good hunting and be repsectable to the landowners that give you permission.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BIG GRUMPY

well fellow hunters i joines the ranks of the crossbow hunters elite this past tuesday with a horton legend 175.on saturday evening i thought it was time to try it out.i went to my property and began to wonder where and how this should began.i found a trail coming into a small field away from everyone else and any chances of interruption.about 45 minutes before dark i caught movement to my right where the trail came into the field and out stepped a yearling.as i watched out came another,obviously twins,as they picked and ate mom shows up. she begans to feed and mill about,being on the ground and not behind a blind i was concerned the young ones would see me or wind me in the swirling winds,but i made it through.mom moved about and presented me with a nice broadside shot about 25 yards out.after about an hour we found her.we could not figure out why there was so little sign of blood to follow,one drop here and there very very little but we pressed on.upon finding her we rolled her over to check the exit wound and again we noticed very little blood on the ground.as we field dressed her we found that somehow the arrow had turned or delected on a bone and exited farther back and part of the entrails had actually been pulled up into the exit wound by the arrow upon exit.this explained then why we found so little blood.this i hope will serve as a lesson for younger hunters to always always look until you are certain the animal is dead or survived the hit.we owe the animal that much respect for giving his or her life for our tablefare.this being my first experience with a crossbow and the first trip with the new bow i learned a valuable lesson as well "don't mess with a crossbow you will loose". good hunting and be repsectable to the landowners that give you permission.
I hope the yearlings were old enough to make it on their own.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: atcfisherman

With global warming reducing snow depth, which is the major limiting factor in the survival of deer, the answer to your question is yes and you're question is not a nice one. Please think ahead before you try to guilt someone. The answer comes from myself, a forestry technician and a hunter of nearly thirty years.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey thats what i do, take out that smart Doe. If the little ones no longer have spots. Then i get it or them if i can, ummmm tasting better every time i get the skillet hot! I won't take a button Buck, he has a go free pass fer next several years.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Dnk

With global warming reducing snow depth, which is the major limiting factor in the survival of deer, the answer to your question is yes and you're question is not a nice one. Please think ahead before you try to guilt someone. The answer comes from myself, a forestry technician and a hunter of nearly thirty years.

I was always under the impression that fawns were weaned by the time hunting season came and would survive anyways. Heck around here I have seen does run there fawns off when rut comes in.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:56 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

ORIGINAL: Dnk

I was always under the impression that fawns were weaned by the time hunting season came and would survive anyways. Heck around here I have seen does run there fawns off when rut comes in.
Jason, that is often the case. The yearlings are feeding by themselves well before now.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:13 PM

Well I looked at the card last night at work and have a few good pics. All the bucks I had in the same pic split up like I thought they would but I have a nice little eight, small six and then this nice nine pointer still around. I only have two pics of the nine pointer in the last three weeks. Will try holding out for him. Going out tomorrow after I get off work and take a nap.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Nice looking buck hope you get him good luck
Old 10-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice one Jason! Hope you get him!
Old 10-25-2006, 02:02 AM
Fork Horn

Got out a little late this morning, 9:30 or so. Saw the usual tree rats and birds, even had a visit from a redtail hawk. About 10:45 I caught movement on up the ridge and watched two doe feeding their way in my direction. They got about 70 yards out and hung out under an oak tree. I hit the can call but the bigger doe only looked in my direction and went back to eating. They eventually went back in the direction they came from. Still was a nice hunt and tomorrow is another day!

Quick Reply: Your Hunt Today! Lets Hear it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.