Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Guilt?

Old 09-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Guilt?

I've been bow hunting a long time, since the mid seventyswith a compound and about5 years ago started using a crossbowoff and on since it became legal in Special Regs countys here in Pa. I've had real good results since, a thick 5pt, 6pt, basket 8pt, Piebald doe and 4 regular doe.
Last year I missed a nice 8pt because he busted me on the draw. Had I been using myCB he would be dead. When I consider hunting him with my CB I get a guilty feeling, almost like I'm cheating a little?
Does anyone who also shoots a compound ever get this feeling?
Old 09-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guilt?

Nope i sure don't! I don't set up no rules to eat by, jus when i be hungry! If 'en i was a fer real sporten man, i would jump out of a tree on the deer and stab them wid me knife![][:-]
Old 09-02-2006, 12:51 PM

How about running them off a cliff, that is what I would call sporting,how about eating them raw(even more sporting) how about shooting them with a rifle at 500yards, some would call that sporting, how about waiting for them to come within 30yds and taking them with ARCHERY equipment(that includes xbow,compound,longbow,or recurve)that is what most of us call SPORTING, don't let the "Traditional" nitwits lead you to believe anything else....
Old 09-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Earlyin: haven't seen your name before, so in any event welcome to the xbow forum! I'm a little curious about the 8 pt that busted ya on the draw. Don't you spose he mighta done the same when he caught ya raisin that xbow? Some are hard to fool, ain't they?
Old 09-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hi awshucks, yes I've posted threads in the paston the Crossbow forum just not many. And reguarding the nice 8pt, I would have had my CB already aimed on him by the time he got to where he was when I drew my bow last year. I'm very sure I would have killed that buck.
It just seems to be more of a sure thing than with my compound bow and I think this is where the "guilt" comes in. I realize it's still basicly a 20yrd game even with a CB. I guess I should be proud like I would be taking one with my compound.
I'll try to contribute to the Crossbowsforum in the future, thanks for having me around.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:38 PM

Like you say its still the twenty yard game no matter how ya look at. But that is the only adavantage the CB has over the long bow is the draw on the deer. I sometimes think that this is still the bow users fault though because they are up in the tree pulling back more then they should be. I watch some of my friends shoot and they are all but pushing out a turd when pulling back their bow,back arched, a little grunting, and the bow pointed to the sky. If they would just turn it down a little they could make a much smoother draw less more attention. Also if they would turn it down to say 60 or 55 pounds they should be able to draw sooner before the deer gets to them, cause like 20% of 55 pounds is only 11 pounds I think so I dont know why they are trying to draw to late. But I will admit I like my CB and never have the draw problem, but have spooked a few deer as I was being busted getting my CB into position. If its a guilt thing why does it stop with draw? Wouldn't the let off, the rest, and nice peep sight and pins bother ya too? The only time I ever feel like I have the advantage is when I sit down with my dads old work buddy who is now 68 and still shoots a recurve with a rug rest! Now thats skill!!! Any way good to see ya back, I do remember seeing ya in here before. Hunting season is around the corner so good luck!
Old 09-03-2006, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am gonna hang my head in shame all the way to the check in station. My black powder gun of choice is a smooth bore TC .56 caliber. Can't shoot it 200yds thats for sure. More like 50yds. The guy sitting next to me at the range dropping in three 50gr pyrodex charges behind a 300gr sabot and slipping a shotgun primer into place does not look overwhelmed with guilt. He looks like he is using a tool available to him.>>>Whack!
Old 09-03-2006, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK you nitwits stand right on up here and raise yer right hand,Whoa! Thats bad, real bad i am sorry i ain't in that there bunch. Cause i be left handed! Traditional i ain't, most folks use a rifle in gun season. I use my shotgun or ML. Yup i have 4 rifles but shots on my place be 40 yds. if yer real lucky! Sides its way to easy to kill dem deers wid a rifle.[][:-]
Old 09-03-2006, 07:14 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

I am gonna hang my head in shame all the way to the check in station.
Planter, you keep on outdoing yourself!!!! Too funny not to quote!!! Hilarious man!
Early in, I do not feel guilty but I kinda do feel like the compound is easier to hit more accurately. My release is alway a surprise ( better than my excal) and I am only holding a few pounds with my release which I can hold forever. My arrow flight is far more accurate with my compound especially over longer distances. My compound has far more energy than my crossbow. Theres more but I won't bore anyone here. Guilty? Well..... hmmm nope! Maybe I should feel guilty when I use my compound but then again maybe I should when I use my ML, 300 win mag, 454, slug gun etc. NOT!!!! Why the heck would I? Now was that a serious question?