Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Phoenix or Titan TL-4 >

Phoenix or Titan TL-4

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Phoenix or Titan TL-4

Old 08-09-2006, 01:59 PM

Default Phoenix or Titan TL-4

Hi guys,

I'm new to this part of the forum since i used to bowhunt with a compound....but I got rid of that and since I shot the Exomax at my friends I decided to hunt with a crossbow this fall. I have looked into almost all of the main crossbow suppliers (horton, excal, 10pt, barnett, etc.) and have narrowed my decision down to either the excal phoenix or the Ten Point Titan TL-4. If anyone could give any advice on advantages/disadvantages of either of them to help me choose the right bow, please post.

Also, I would like to save myself $100-$200 and not buy the acudraw or acudraw 50 from tenpoint. Would I be able to use the excal or horton cocking string aid on the Ten Point.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated......

Mike
Old 08-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Phoenix or Titan TL-4

If you really need a cocker buy the 10pt with accudraw if you don't buythe excal. They are some of the best and as long as they fit your personal physical needs you will do well. If possible get to an archery shop where you can shoot both one may suit yourbuild better than the other. Lee
Old 08-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you shot both of them? We know the Titan will cost more out of the gate. I don't know if the rope cocker will fit on Titan. Phoenix has a better trigger and its lighter and simpler. I spect they be about same on speed. The Titan weighs more but the Phoenix is wider. What can you afford? If saving some bucks is needful to get the rest of outfit , get Phoenix. I have one and i love it. I ain't going to bad mouth the 10 pt., they 're great Bows, i just can't afford one.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

Have you shot both of them? We know the Titan will cost more out of the gate. I don't know if the rope cocker will fit on Titan. Phoenix has a better trigger and its lighter and simpler. I spect they be about same on speed. The Titan weighs more but the Phoenix is wider. What can you afford? If saving some bucks is needful to get the rest of outfit , get Phoenix. I have one and i love it. I ain't going to bad mouth the 10 pt., they 're great Bows, i just can't afford one.
Ok, now I've heard everything, LOL, I'm going to cut and paste and hang this on the wall!!!!!!!!
Yup, I don't think you will go wrong with either one. Go and shoot them and see which one you like. Have you considered the Slider?
BTW welcome to the forum.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tough call. Both bows are good. I'm an Excal guy, got three of them. Here is an honest appraisal of them. All Excals have the same trigger. 10 pts. do not. I shot some 10 pts that I could not live w/ their trigger pull. They do offer upgrades to better triggers. Excal does not, and doesn't need to. 10 pts. or any compound type are alot narrower. Recurves are somewhat wider, and Excal is beyond question the leader in recurve type xbows. My main thing w/ Excals is I live in the mntns of Arkansas, far away from pro-shops and bow presses, I can do my own stuff. IMHO, Here is what it boils down to: Excal for simple, 10 pt for top of the line compound. Not saying anything bad about Horton, Barnett, Parker, ect.
I am very pro-crossbow, brand names mean nothing to me, as they will all do the job. Your best bet is to go to a retailer that has a range, and offers several choices and make up your own mind what suits YOU best.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I'll ad one more thing. If you are going to be a arrow junkie and shoot like the Squirrel which means a hundred a day or something like that you will appreciate an Excal. If you stalk in thick stuff your going to hate the Excalibur and love the Ten Point.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Typical Buck

to anser one of your questions yes you can use a rope cocking aid on the Titan you just run it thru the thumb hole in the stock..
Old 08-10-2006, 08:28 AM

Thanks guys I'm probably gonna go with the phoenix since the majority of my hunting will be done from a stand so no thick brush to manuever through....also I shoot alot and I dont wanna drive to get the string replaced every couple weeks so the excal i can do myself. Thanks for all the info.

Mike
Old 08-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

your not going to have to change the string on a tenpoint every 2 weeks,, I have shot the heck out of my Tenpoint , and have not had to have a new string yet, and unless you do a lot of shooting and I mean a lot of shooting you will probably only need to have a string changed on a TenPoint once every 3 years as reccomended . have you went and shot either of these bows?? both of these are great crossbows, so before I made a decision I would go to a proshop that carries both and shoot them,,
Old 08-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

htoler,is right I have replaced 3 strings in 15 years and one set of cables on a good Xbow you should not have to replace anything regularly if you take proper care of it. The lower priced ones are often hard on strings. Lee