Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

new crossbow

Old 08-09-2006, 04:34 PM

Default new crossbow

i just bought a new crossbow and i have it sighted in for 20yds but i was at my grandmas house shooting long distance i tryed to shoot 40yds and i lost my arrows. i doint no what i did wrong. can any one help me out pleas???
Old 08-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: new crossbow

First off what type of crossbow do you have,, some of the crossbows you need to sight in at 30 yards while others 20 yards. knowing which crossbow you have will help us help you out..
Old 08-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK if yer sighted in at 20 yds. then yer arrows hit low. They're not lost just hidden from you in the grass a few feet in front of yer target. How big is yer target? Its late now but always back up in 5 yd. increaments. What Bow and pound is it, trying to figure out how much drop yer arrows doing.[]
Old 08-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Well, I'm kinda busy this week but maybe I can come over next week to help you find them.... sorry, couldn't help myself, just kidding. Welcome to the forum. I've lost a few. If they are aluninum I would see if you can borrow a metal detector. They sure like to slide under the grass. I hope they were target points. Even if they were carbons you still should be able to find them because of the tips that are made of steel.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

If it is nice "lawn grass" I can find them easiest by walking the area in bare feet...the shaft is easy to feel (NOT RECOMENDED IF SHOOTING BROADHEADS)

If it isn't nice grass go with the metal detector and next time work your way back in 5yd increments to determine if or how much to hold over at that range.

Mitch
Old 08-10-2006, 12:55 PM

i have a horton youcon the drwal is 150 lbs and i was shooting at a target about the size of a shoot glass but the back bord is big i am shooting brod heads to

Old 08-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Animal

i have a horton youcon the drwal is 150 lbs and i was shooting at a target about the size of a shoot glass but the back bord is big i am shooting brod heads to
Hmmmm you're deep in poo poo, sorry Pal but you are either going to be responsible and get a metal detector and find all the broadheads or you're going to be in big poop. I don't see any other choice. Those things are going to be deadly to step on by dogs, human or some cattle. Image if a head of cattle picks it up by it hoove and it licks it? Or you kneel on it? Oh the thought of that just curls my toes!
Is this for real or are you messing with us?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mr. Animal: There is a scope made by Excal called the Varizone that is an amazing piece of equipment. No matter what bow it's on or what weight arrow you shoot, once you sigth the crosshairs on at 20 yds, you bench it at 30 yds using the next of three aimpoints below the crosshair. There is a ring graduated in fps that you turn up or down until you are on the money at 30. The next two aim points are dead on at 40 and 50 yds. You end up being dead on at 10 thru 50 yds, although no-one I know will take shots at deer much over 30-35 yds. Another good tip I've learned is to do all your testing w/ field points before switching to b-heads. They can be quite contrary at times. I prefer Slick Tricks myself, they fly the same as field points for me. Good luck and keep us informed. Welcome to the forum!!

Btw: a rope cocker centers your string on the rail every shot, which is critical for accuracy.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:14 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mitchmtm1
If it is nice "lawn grass" I can find them easiest by walking the area in bare feet...the shaft is easy to feel (NOT RECOMENDED IF SHOOTING BROADHEADS)
Mitch

Sorry I couldn't help myself.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:07 PM

thanks guys and gals for all your help i took your help and fixed my problem i hade to move it back little bits at a time and got it all squard away