Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Fixed or mechanical broadheads? >

Fixed or mechanical broadheads?

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Fixed or mechanical broadheads?

Old 04-04-2006, 04:04 PM

Default Fixed or mechanical broadheads?

I have always been a big fan of fixed blade broadheads. I have heard alot of talk of mechanicals not opening, wounding deer, tracking deer for miles before recovery, ect. Can anybody shed some light or ideas about this?Any recommendations of broadheads, I currently use muzzy 100 gr 3 blades with my coumpound.

Horton Supermax 175
Old 04-04-2006, 05:54 PM

Default RE: Fixed or mechanical broadheads?

I use Spitfire Mechanicals with my Horton Legend, never had a problem with them. 5 shots 5 dead deer, farthest any went was about 120 yards running mostly in a circular path, about 25 yards as the bolt flies, two dropped on the spot.

IMHO it is all in shot placement, good shot placement means a humanely downed animal,poor shot placement theyare not.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I am far from being an expert. But since you didn't exclude me yur going to see what I gotta say! LOL.
The permature opening of a mechanical can be caused by hitting some thing like a branch or by a overly violent acceleration of the arrow/bolt. With some mechanicals like the wasp you can double band (two o rings) the blades if you are using an xbow that is too fast. Any one correct me if you wish but I believe an xbow that is rated at 300 or more can have this happen. Hitting a branch or a twig can cause the premature opening as well. After having said that hitting a branch or twig will do nothig but decrease your broadhead's ability to stay on its path as well.
Do we need mechanicals on xbows...no we do not. I use wasp mechanicals because of the broad cut thats all! Shot placement is the #1 path to success period. If you can put a 1" broadhead where its needed then thats all you need for a quick humane kill. End of story. So if a fixed broadhead does what you want then use it. If a mechanical does what you want better then use that instead. It all else is equal, use what gives you the most confidence and to hell with what everyone else says, they are not pulling the trigger and taking responsibility, you are!
So do I always use a mechanical? Do I take more deer more deer than anyone else? Do I know more than anyone else? Am I an authority on broadheads? No but I did stay at the holiday inn last night!

Old 04-04-2006, 07:16 PM

Dnk,
I am the farthest from an expert on crossbows, so any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Jc, nothing in the 80 or more four legged animals that I shot (bolt, arrow, slug or bullet via xbow, compound, rifle or handgun) in the boiler room every went more than 100 yards. With out a question the thunderheads are the toughest, most accurate bheads I have ever used. In the end its all about shot placement and confidence. Use what you KNOW what will hit your mark and to hell with anyone else! Its your show, your hunt, your responsibility.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Spike

I have used the monotec G5 broadheads for the last 2 years and i luv them...wont hunt with anything else..its all about personal preferrance though...everyone that has said it is right "a well place shot is the key"...nothing more nothing less
Old 04-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm way far from being an expert! I am learning from what I read, what I see and from you guys. I have no friends that use a Cross Bow here in my area.

Broadheads
56k modem | Cable/DSL

Old 04-05-2006, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

choice of broadheads is like choice of bows its more what you like and fell comfortable using,, there is on thing for sure if you hunt out of a blind that has shoot thru screens you have to stick with fixed blades I do not know of any mechanicals you can use in a blind with shoot thru screens..
Old 04-05-2006, 06:43 AM

ORIGINAL: htoler

there is on thing for sure if you hunt out of a blind that has shoot thru screens you have to stick with fixed blades I do not know of any mechanicals you can use in a blind with shoot thru screens..
so true, the screen will open the mechinals.

I shoot the spitfire mechanials and will shoot nothing else.they have performed well for me over the last few years(ever since they came out). I have taken 11 deer and several hogs and three turkeys with the spitfire and all have gone less than 75 yards.

it all depends on what you like.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:03 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

ORIGINAL: htoler

there is on thing for sure if you hunt out of a blind that has shoot thru screens you have to stick with fixed blades I do not know of any mechanicals you can use in a blind with shoot thru screens..
so true, the screen will open the mechinals.

I shoot the spitfire mechanials and will shoot nothing else.they have performed well for me over the last few years(ever since they came out). I have taken 11 deer and several hogs and three turkeys with the spitfire and all have gone less than 75 yards.

it all depends on what you like.
I think spitfires are probably the most popular from what I hear on forums that or the spritfire users are the most vocal! LOL

Quick Reply: Fixed or mechanical broadheads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.