HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fixed or mechanical broadheads?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fixed or mechanical broadheads?

I am far from being an expert. But since you didn't exclude me yur going to see what I gotta say! LOL.
The permature opening of a mechanical can be caused by hitting some thing like a branch or by a overly violent acceleration of the arrow/bolt. With some mechanicals like the wasp you can double band (two o rings) the blades if you are using an xbow that is too fast. Any one correct me if you wish but I believe an xbow that is rated at 300 or more can have this happen. Hitting a branch or a twig can cause the premature opening as well. After having said that hitting a branch or twig will do nothig but decrease your broadhead's ability to stay on its path as well.
Do we need mechanicals on xbows...no we do not. I use wasp mechanicals because of the broad cut thats all! Shot placement is the #1 path to success period. If you can put a 1" broadhead where its needed then thats all you need for a quick humane kill. End of story. So if a fixed broadhead does what you want then use it. If a mechanical does what you want better then use that instead. It all else is equal, use what gives you the most confidence and to hell with what everyone else says, they are not pulling the trigger and taking responsibility, you are!
So do I always use a mechanical? Do I take more deer more deer than anyone else? Do I know more than anyone else? Am I an authority on broadheads? No but I did stay at the holiday inn last night!