Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Which Crossbow would you go with? >

Which Crossbow would you go with?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Which Crossbow would you go with?

Old 04-02-2006, 02:35 PM

Default Which Crossbow would you go with?

Well, i got approved to use a crossbow for deer hunting.

And i was wondering which one you would go with?

10 point? Excalibur? Horton?

Thanks Cam
Old 04-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which Crossbow would you go with?

Oh boy here we go... I'll be the first to jump in and say HORTON.

To be honest, your'e best bet is to go and try each one out. Each are excellent but one will tell you what fits you best.

Old 04-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Put me in coach!!! "You don't need wheels to fly" Excal Vixen if I had it to do all over again, but no way on the Exomax unless you want a pass-thruon King Kong.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

First congrats on your approval and welcome aboard!
Now the question. That depends on your limitations. Money and or physical. The tenpoint certainly is a nice bow. Hortons are less money and easier to draw. Excals are without question the most accurate and most reliable but... depends on your limitations (Clint Eastwood LOL). If you are going to shoot an awful lot and want something that will never give you trouble and want a string that can be replaced in the field then its the Excal again. The best all round deal for price, accuracy, and easy winding with a crank then its a Horton. Again Ten Points are really quite a nice xbow but $$$$$ How much are you going to shoot, is width a problem, how much money do you want to spend, which one do you like the look of, did you pick any up, have you shot any yet? Do you want a rodent against you or for you? These are questions that need to be answered. So lets have it.
Don
Old 04-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you want me to hate you. you will buy an excalibur. u will be muh buddy if u buy a horton or a tenpoint. now. being serious

excaliburs are easy to maintane, easy to replace parts, and is reliable, yet expesive. tenpoint is a safe, easy xbow. not many people know what they do cus noone can afford one here excpt holter. he's a rich guywell then ya got ur horton. the bestiest crossbow eva. easy to cock, maintain, accurate, way cooler lookin thn the excalibur, inexpensive, did i say cooler? and easy to find parts for cus all the major sportinggoods stores have parts for them. i havent been able to find an excalibur in a store. so one shot, one choice, horton
Old 04-02-2006, 04:08 PM

Dnk gave you very good advice, go somewhere you can pick them all up and hopefully test shoot each one, but the feel of the bow itself will probably tell you which is more comfortable for you.

For the Squirrel, a few others and myself we picked the Horton, they are reliable, accurate, and the cheapest (of the three mentioned)to buy and have an excellantManufacturer's warranty.

Dnk and several others here are die hard Excal fans, they areprobably thequietest of the three,excellant bows, andpossibly oneof the most accurate (there is a lot of spirited debate for this point).

Personally I dont know anyone who shoots a Ten Point but they have a good reputation, and from what I hear their cocking mechanism is the best of the three mentioned, but also the most expensive.

Welcome aboard whatever you choose of these three they are all very good quality bows.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Well Im not rich but did manage to get a TenPoint ProElite and got my Dad a Tenpoint Elite lite, I think they are a great xbow yes they are pricy,
all 3 mentioned are good xbows you would be happy with any of them.
you have already have been given the best advice you could get and that is to find a proshop that carries all of these modles and others and compare them pick out the ones you like and shoot them and decide from there .. based on what you can afford and which you like the best ,,
I like the TenPoints, DNK like Excalibures ,Squirelkilla23 likes Hortons,
not everyone will like the same xbow or agree on which is the better one. I think any of these three you could not go wrong. reserch them get them in your hands then make an informed decission as to which Xbow is the best for you..

happy Xbowing
Old 04-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

personally I shoot an Excalibur Exocete I have had this xbow for 10 years may be longer. Haven't replaced the string even. Taken lots of deer with it. dnk gave you the best advice. check out them all the three he mentioned are all good bows, but if you want the best go excalibur. IMHO
Old 04-02-2006, 05:35 PM

Alright guys, thanks for all the replys. I'll do that and see which one fits me the best. And ill let you when i get one and which i have choosen....once again thanks for all the replys.

Cam
Old 04-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

It's really amazing, its like a compound, one will feel way better than the other and that will be the one cuz u can't go wrong with any of the ones mentioned. I want to mention that all advice given so far was without prejudice, except may be the accuracy one!!![8D] The safety one is pretty much correct the 10 pt is the safest. Even the vanted Excal no longer has an auto-safety. Theses things can be real ouchy if it goes off and your fingie is in the wrong place(got that spelinright didnt eye Rodent). Just remember its your choice and I bet it will be looks and feel mostly because there all more than accuate enough for hunting. Recurves dominate the target field. But then who give a hoot about that when you're hunting? Not me!!!
Last I'd like to mention that there is no season for flying rodents, they're considered vermin.

Quick Reply: Which Crossbow would you go with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.