Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Barnett's used in combat! >

Barnett's used in combat!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Barnett's used in combat!

Old 03-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Barnett's used in combat!

Guardian Unlimited | Special reports | British-made crossbows ...
Old 03-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barnett's used in combat!

RebelHog, My 2nd xbow was a "Commando". Deadly accurate, got my first "Robin Hood" w/ it before I knew the term. You cocked it like a break-open pellet gun, two claws outside the rail brought the string back until it latched. Real short power stroke, maybe 12". I bought it used, and could only get 20 or so shots before the string gave out. Found out recently that was the nature of the beast. Apparently, there were plastic sleeves over the string where those claws grabbed it when cocking. The "Yards" in Viet Nam made their own and were deadly w/ them. as for the poaching aspect of xbows, I'm more than a little sceptical. A simple .22 "short" is far more practicle. Thanks for the info, it was a good read!!
Old 03-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

RebelHog, My 2nd xbow was a "Commando". Deadly accurate, got my first "Robin Hood" w/ it before I knew the term. You cocked it like a break-open pellet gun, two claws outside the rail brought the string back until it latched. Real short power stroke, maybe 12". I bought it used, and could only get 20 or so shots before the string gave out. Found out recently that was the nature of the beast. Apparently, there were plastic sleeves over the string where those claws grabbed it when cocking. The "Yards" in Viet Nam made their own and were deadly w/ them. as for the poaching aspect of xbows, I'm more than a little sceptical. A simple .22 "short" is far more practicle. Thanks for the info, it was a good read!!

You're welcome. I have a Barnett assembly plant about 9 or 10 miles from me in Odessa, Fl., but I don't know anyonein my area that uses them, so I can get advice from them. I am either going with the Excal or the 10-PT, not sure which one yet.
You guys can give me more information than I can get around here!Thanks
Old 03-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

RebelHog: Have you been to Excals forum yet? It's www.excaliburcrossbow.com There's 135 pages of current, 51 pages of archives, about 40 threads to a page. They don't just talk about Excals either, all major brands are represented by their owners. It's like an xbow library. You can find all the answers there. BTW, I can't send pm's here. For some reason when I clik on the pm box below the name it doesn't do anything. Any ideas?? Both of the choices you are down to are good ones. If I had it to do all over again, I think I'd go w/ the Exocet. 175# pull, cut in half w/ rope cocker, over 300 fps, and you can uncock it by hand. There is just nothing to go wrong w/ these simple xbows, a fact you'll pick up on if you check their forum out. Regards
Old 03-10-2006, 04:46 PM

Rebel ; the wife and I both have a Barnett quad 300.they are really good bows, or thats MHO.never had an serious problems.just a couple in the 5 years we have had them. I call them and send it to Odessa and in a week or two it's back with all new stuff.

one of my limbe has a splinter on the inside and I sent it and it came back upgraded to a quad 400 limbs and neww strings and cams;(and I said 5 years old) no cost.
I had a string start to fray,called and told them, told them we had twpo and they sent me two new strings.

so I am happy and a proud Barnett owner.there are better I guess , I just haven't saw them yet.[8D]