Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Dutch oven cooking

Old 01-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Dutch oven cooking

This is a double query:

(1) How about providing some of your favorite dutch oven recipes, preferably involving game meat but not necessarily.

(2) What instructions or advice can you give for cooking using a dutch oven?
Old 01-14-2005, 01:55 PM

Default RE: Dutch oven cooking

I have several great recipes for things like stews and cobblers in dutch ovens-haven't used in years-will try and dig them out and post them.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

What instructions or advice can you give for cooking using a dutch oven?
Make sure its seasoned and try to avoid using acidic food such as tomatoes untill the pot becomes well seasoned. Try this for a while
http://southernfood.about.com/librar.../aa092100a.htm

or this

http://gcica.org/
Old 01-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Cooking in an Iron Dutch oven is one of my favs! Something that happens every week around my household. As stated make sure it is seasoned, if you cook a roast or chili in it....DO NOT LET IT SIT!! Tomatoe acids will put a metallic flavor into your dish....same as it will any metal dish if food is stored there. Just a thought and enjoy!
Old 01-16-2005, 09:29 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Lots of links to dutch oven cooking. I am involved in Boy Scouts and you can do a search and find lots of good BSA dutch oven cooking
less heat on bottom more on top for breads, rotate lid and oven, make a rack to keep bread off bottom, you can stack ovens if you like, practice, practice, practice, last but not least. Enjoy cooking and shair with friends and friends you havent met yet.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use my Dutch oven regularly. I can't cook outside, so I just stick it in the oven. I rubbed mine like that jerseyhunter's article said.

As far as recipes, I occaisonaly get to watch Johnny Nix's Campfire Cafe on RFD.

Campfire Cafe
Old 01-18-2005, 02:46 PM

I've never used any of mine inside. I have a stand that I use in the backyard and camping trips. One of my favorite things to cook is brisket. I take 2 onions, celery, bellpepper, and garlic 4, or 5 pounds of brisket and pour 3, or 4 budweisers over it and let it cook for about 4 hours. Add more beer if you need to. I make the most tender brisket I have ever had.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:14 AM

Come visit us at Ohio Camp Cooks! We just started a thread entitled "Cast Iron University!" Lots of Dutch camp cooks there with lots of recipes!! Best advice is to practice a whole bunch. Don't worry about recipes. Anything you can cook on the hotpoint you can cook in the Dutch oven. What you need to learn is temperature maintenance and control. As previously mentioned acidic foods are not good for cast iron; but, if the dish calls for tomatoes; what cha gonna do? Remove foods from the oven as quickly as possible following cooking and neutralize the acid with a quick soda water rinse or soak. Clean with hot "soapy" YES I SAID SOAPY water, dry thoroughly and dress the seasoning or wipe it down with oil before storage.