Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Heart/Liver question...

Old 08-26-2004, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Heart/Liver question...

I was always under the impression that it was not recommended to freeze organs, but just what I was told once. I eat mine right up. I just slice mine any ole way about 1/4" thick. I just cook mine in bacon grease and cok the onions separate. Galic salt, as well. Sometimes do the flour thing. I do not remove then membrane and don't generally have a problem with it being chewy. Man, am I ready for deer season ....& hungry!

ps - we pickle the heart (doesn't last long). Frying it up is good too.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:17 PM

I eat most of mine fresh. The rest I give away or don't bring in if the weather is too warm and I'm too far.

My question is...Can I freeze the heart or liver without it losing it's flavor? I seem to have read that liver goes to hell when frozen. Is this true? How bout the heart?
You need to be saving this stuff for your buddies like me who cat fish. The fish like it any way they can get it!!!
Old 08-31-2004, 09:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

We always freeze ours. In fact I just fixed some of last years deer liver tonight for super. I cooked onions on the grill then added the liver. Goof food for sure. I am also making Beef stew tonight for tomorrow. I am using Deer stew meat. I add a little Beef Bullion to simmer the meat in for a short time. I sometimes Merinade the stew meat in a little Soy sauce and Garlic salt. I don't need to for the wife and I but if the kids are comming I spice it up a little. Yum Yum.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:35 PM

You can freeze heart w/ no problems, just treat it like any other piece of meat. I learned a trick w/ liver as a youngster, the liver is best when cut from the gut pile ASAP and quickly thrown as far away from you as possible before any relatives can come along and take it home where you will actually be expected to eat the liver.