Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Catfish?

Old 08-09-2004, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Catfish?

What are some of your favorite ways to prepare frsh catfish? And after it has been frozen, is there any special tips when preparing after thawing?
Old 08-09-2004, 09:01 PM

Default RE: Catfish?

fresh ; I take them if they are small ( up to 10 to 12") salt pepper Everglases seasoning , lowyers season. roll in fresh corn meal and deep fry in hog lard till they float and turn golden brown.[8D][8D][8D]

Frozen it about the same way,just make sure they have all the frozen water out of them,then the same way.

If they have been frozen over 2 mo's. (and not been frozen in water)they are not for me![:'(][&:]
Old 08-09-2004, 10:42 PM

we ussually cut them into chunks and bread them im cracker crumbs and eggs and salt and pepper and them deep fat fry them
Old 08-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: young_gun

we ussually cut them into chunks and bread them im cracker crumbs and eggs and salt and pepper and them deep fat fry them
Same here , my family loves it this way .
Old 08-10-2004, 02:15 PM

Little bit of salt, pepper & cornmeal in a bag then shake................then they go into the deep fry. Then you cook your hush puppies after the fish to give them a lil extra flavor.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on the cafish.

Blues and flatheads get salt, pepper, cornmeal/flour mix and deep fried.

Mud and yellow cats get salt, pepper, cornmeal only and fried in frying pan.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

fresh ; I take them if they are small ( up to 10 to 12") salt pepper Everglases seasoning , lawyers season. roll in fresh corn meal and deep fry in hog lard till they float and turn golden brown.[8D][8D][8D]

Frozen it about the same way,just make sure they have all the frozen water out of them,then the same way.

If they have been frozen over 2 mo's. (and not been frozen in water)they are not for me![:'(][&:]
same here but i like to use tony cacheries(sp?) creole seasoning to
Old 08-11-2004, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Easy!! I used to use some of the above methods and loved it. However, If none of you have tried it yet get some Zatarain's Seasoned Fish-Fri....
Get that deep fryer going with Crisco in the "can" not oil and go to town! Melts in your mouth and is the best I have ever had. No need to egg and water coat if you do not want to, I usually just rinse and then shake in the mix. Dang my mouth is watering right now for some fresh fried catfish and hushpuppies!!! As my son would say " Now, that is yummy good!"
Old 08-12-2004, 11:12 AM

Put the fish in an eggwash roll then in a mixture of flour and corn meal. Fry em salt and pepper em untill there golden brown.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Catfish - One of the finest eaten fresh water fish out there.

If caught fresh I soak them in salt water overnight. Pat dry in paper towel.

1. I mix to taste garlic powder with cormeal along with your favorite cajun seasoning. I like "Tony Chackers" Creole Seasoning. Roll fish in egg wash and then cornmeal mixture. Cook it up in skillet and serve with lemon juice,freshed cracked pepper and salt. Good Eats!

2. I've never tryed this on catfish but it's some kinda good on Salmon,Perch.

3 tbls light brown surgar
1 tabls honey
2 tbls butter
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tbls soy sauce
2 tabls EVO (olive oil) - or - conola oil
1 tbls ginger (you can skip this if desired)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
melt brown surgar,honey,butter in small pan over med heat.
remove from heat.mix in soy sauce,mustard,olive oil,ginger. set aside.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
brush fish with vegtable oil,season with salt ,pepper.
place the fish in skillet over med heat. brush the brown surgar mixture on both sides of fish as it cooks. Don't overcook or brown surgar mixture will burn.

This is mighty fine eaten - try it you'll like it, or I'll buy you something nice.

Quick Reply: Catfish?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.