Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

how do you cook rabbit

Old 02-26-2002, 07:43 AM

Default how do you cook rabbit

we had somerabbit last weekend on the grill but it was pretty tuff.how do you make it tender.
Old 02-26-2002, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how do you cook rabbit

Rabbit is naturally a little tough. What I do is marinate it in Italian dressing for a day, then pressure cook it or boil it until it is fairly tender. Then grill it, and it'll be delicious.

Also, you can cook it in the crock pot with carrots, potatoes and onions for about 4 hours.

Another delicious recipe is to take the rabbit pieces and put them in the crock pot. On top of them put some tomato sauce and lotsl of spices. (oregeno, salt, pepper, red pepper, italian seasoning, etc.) then put a bunch of onions on top and cook for 4-5 hours.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:52 AM

Find a good Cacciatore recipe (Italian for catch of the day) and simmer it for a couple of hours.

I have a recipe that a neigbor gave me when I lived in Italy and I'll post it or email it to you if you like.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:40 AM

My neighbor puts it in the crockpot and cooks it all day. He swears it is awesome. I've personally never tried it but it sounds good.

Rich
Old 02-28-2002, 04:24 AM

had some this week,wife put it in pressure cooker for about 20 to 30 min.with onione,salt,pepper,lots of garlic powder.after cooked add a couple teaspoons of flour to thicken gravey.
mash patoes and home made biscuts.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-01-2002, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

My mother used to make rabbit and squirrel stew, as far as exactly how I am not sure, but it was delicous. More than likely just substituting rabbit or squirrel for beef or chicken in a stew recipe would work very well. I quit hunting rabbit due to lack of dogs and squirrel because I hate skinning the little boogers.

The Tazman
Old 03-01-2002, 02:01 PM

If it wern't for rabbit, I would have starved to death in college. I've eatin rabbit more ways than most people have eatin chili.

One of the best way's that I've had it was to parboil it until the meat is tender, remove and de-bone. Then take the chunks and dust w/flour and fry in hot grease. This makes the meat tender and seal's in the natural juices.

Other than that, just plain ol rabbit stew is pretty good. Just follow any stew recepie for beef and it works pretty good for bunnies.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:05 AM

Only rabbit I ever had was farm raised..
we usually pan fried em just like chicken, Mom would flour em and fry em in oil. only they taste soo much better than chicken!!

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry