Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Need Recipe

Old 04-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need Recipe

My wife is looking for some good meatball recipies, any suggestions
Old 04-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Recipe

Make your meatballs as normal. Then.....

1 bottle Hienz Chili sauce
1 jar grape jelly.......both bottles should be approx same size(about 2 cups each)
1 TBSP lemon juice

Melt jelly in saucepan on medium heat, add chili sauce and lemonjuice, heat.Add meatballs to sauce, coat well, simmer for one hour.Enjoy.

Ron
Old 04-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I make this big batch for parties or for myself and freeze in meal size batches.

3lb ground meat, 1lb ground pork, 1-2 eggs per pound of meat, Romano cheese, Flavored bread crumbs, 2 18oz cans tomatoe paste, 3 cans 2lbs 3 oz crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper , 1 tbls sugar, 1 tbls garlic powder 1 tbls oregano, 1 tbls basil. ¼ cup parsley
3 lbs sausage links

Brown Sausage and set aside, In a lge bowl mix chopped meat and pork, add about 6 eggs,(original recipe calls for 10), 3 tbls parsley, 1 tablespoon each of salt, pepper, garlic powder, ½ cup grated cheese, approx. half pound bread crumbs. Mix and roll into meatballs.

Brown meatballs in the fat leftover from the sausages.
make sauce
In a large pot put in tomatoe paste and crushed tomatoes, some salt, 1 tbls sugar, ½ tsp pepper, ½ tsp garlic powder, 1 tbls oregano, and 1 tbls basil. Pour grease frome browned meat into sauce simmer 10 min. then add meatballs and sausage , simmer about 2 hrs. oil raises to top when done.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:11 PM

my mom (scicilian) has a good recipe but this is the one that i use all the time....it really is just a perfect meatball and really not all that different from her's....hope you try it ...i know you will like it if you do...

Old Spaghetti Factory Meatballs

1/3 C. Onion, very finely chopped
1 Tbls. Garlic, very finely minced
3 Tbls. Parsley, finely chopped
1 C. Fresh Bread Crumbs
1 Egg
½ C. Cold Water
2 Tbls. Olive Oil
1 ½ tsp. - 1 Tbls. Salt
¼ tsp. Black Pepper, freshly ground
¼ tsp. Ground Nutmeg
2 ½ Lbs. Lean Ground Chuck
30 oz. Tomato Sauce

Combine chopped onion, garlic, parsley and bread crumbs in a food processor and mix 30 seconds. Break the egg into a 3 quart bowl and mix well using a wire whisk. Add water, olive oil, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to the egg and whisk until well whisked. Add the bread crumb mixture, combining with a spatula. Add the ground meat and mix thoroughly until ingredients are well distributed and the mixture is binding together tightly.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Using a medium sized ice cream scoop, scoop out a portion onto a lightly oiled jelly roll pan. Form each meatball by rolling in the palm of your hand until they feel tight and solid. (The finished meatballs should be about the size of a golf ball.)
Pour 1/4 cup water into the pan and place in the oven. Time 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and loosen with a spatula. Return to the oven an additional 10 minutes, or until cooked through. Drain. Heat the tomato sauce in a large skillet. Add the meatballs and simmer 2 minutes.

Serve over pasta or rice.