Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Corned Venison and Pastrami

Old 12-14-2003, 02:52 PM

Default Corned Venison and Pastrami

Just got finished making a batch of Corned Venison and Pastrami. I urge and recommend all to try it. You have to make the Corned Beef (Venison) and then turn it into Pastrami. A very simple process which requires nothing more than a bucket and spices. I bought the Premixed Ingrediants from the Sausage Maker. And as always it is delicious. Monday I a'm going to make 2 different batches of jerkey. One from pre-mixed and the other an old and easy receipe from Lenord Lee Rue. I'll fill you in on the out come later. Hope everyone is enjoying and putting their bounty to good use.

PS. KIDD642 Where the HEck is that Ham reciepe? [:@]Wer'e all waiting for it. Or maybe you really didn't make it yourself, and it was somebody else's.[] Either way we would like to hear from you ,rather than start a thread and not finish up on it.[:'(] That doesn't do much for your credability.[&o] Signed: the jerseyhunter. aka jerseyhunter.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:45 PM

Default RE: Corned Venison and Pastrami

sounds good Jersey ; did you use the brine or the dry mix?
I have never used any of the corned mixes.I do have some meat that needs to be fixed some way.guess I'll have to try it.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:04 PM

It was a dry mix that you add water to to make a brine. I spray pumped it though, not necessary, then let brine for 72 hours for pieces 2" or less, add 24 hrs per extra inch. After 72 hours you now have corned venison. Then just mix 1 tablespoon of paprika, 1 tablespoon ground coriander and 1 teaspoon of pepper. mix well and rub over meat that has drip dried for 10 min. Then I placed in smoker at 130 degrees for 1 hour with damper open, than raise temp to 160 degrees and close damper to 1/4 open for 1 hour than, raise temp. again to 220 till inside of meat reaches 175 degrees. Chill over night and slice. MMMM Good Luck to you.
The mix I used came premixed in a box that was left over from last year But you still have to add the pickeling spice. A box will make 25 lbs and only cost 12$. Well worth it. If you want you can make your own brine by mixing 5 qts water,3/4 cup salt,1/3 cup instacure no 1,1/2 cup dextrose and 1/2 cup pickling spice. Good luck once again.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:21 PM

thanks Jersey ; I was just looking in my book and saw the same mix you mention.I will give it a try.