Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Country Fried Steak

Old 11-11-2003, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Country Fried Steak

I tried making country fried steak last night. It was OK but not the best I' ve had. My breading was flour and season salt and that seemed a little thin. The steak was a little thick, too. What type of steak and what type of breading do you guys use for country fried steak?

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-11-2003, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Country Fried Steak

I use any steak about 1/2' -5/8' thin and pound with a meat mallet, the kind with the nubs sticking out, or just use cubed steak.First I dip in seasoned flour, then in an egg wash, (egg beaten with a little water) then back into the flour, Then I fry in a little oil and butter, when finished ,remove the steaks and add some seasoned flour, wisk and cook a couple minutes ,then add some milk and you will end up with a white gravy, add some salt and pepper. Most of the time i use club, or shell steaks. Also works with venison as the breading holds in the moisture and doesn' t dry them out. Hot and quick with the venison. if you need more flavor or color for the gravy add a couple drops of gravey master. (a coloring and flavor additive) comes in a little bottle.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Jersey Hunter. You' ve come through again.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

JerseyHunter' s right...the key for me is pounding the crap out of it. Not only does it make it thinner, it makes it tender as all get out.

Just make sure to wrap some plastic wrap around it before you hammer it or you' ll have blood spots all over everything. LOL