Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

new idea for deer tips!

Old 11-14-2003, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default new idea for deer tips!

My dad just gave me a new recipe for deer tips. I wasn' t too sure at first but MAN is it good. I sauteed butter, onions and mushrooms in a frying pan. I then added my deer cut in 1" cubes and fried that with it. Then I added my usuall seasoning of worschishire (sp?) sauce, montreal steak seasoning and butter. I cooked this until it was medium rare. This is where the special ingredient comes in. I then added ranch dressing! It made the sauce really creamy and added alot to the taste. I never would have thought of it but I' m glad I know now!
Old 11-15-2003, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: new idea for deer tips!

Well I tried your recipie and it was different, since I seldom use either ranch dressing or worcestershire. Maybe posting the amounts to use would help others. Just a suggestion
Old 11-18-2003, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for not adding amounts but that' s because I never measure when I' m cooking. I just add my seasonings to taste. What I would do would be to add any seasonings you would like to the pan before you add the ranch and taste it as you go until it suits. Be careful with the worcestersire sauce, it' s pretty easy to use too much. When it' s just about finished then add your ranch. My rule of thumb with this is that I only add enough to thicken the sauce and coat the meat. If you add too much it tastes like you are eating a deer meat salad. You still want your base sauce to be the dominant flavor. The ranch is used to make sure the sauce stays on the meat and add a slight creamy flavor too the sauce. Sorry if you didn' t care for it I guess everyone does have different tastes but maybe you can work with it until you find something you like.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks bearklr, I put too much ranch and not enough victorian, cape or tudor.