Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Aging/Hanging a Deer

Old 03-03-2004, 12:53 PM

Default RE: Aging/Hanging a Deer

We hang ours up at the camp in a walk in frezzer.. while we are there and on the morning we get ready to leave we quarter it up put it in coolers and let it sit in ice water for a few days then take it to the processor..
Old 03-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Aging/Hanging a Deer

After butchering an average of 6-10 deer every year for 20 years (not all mine) I've never been able to tell the difference between a early season bow kill that was butchered right away and a late season that has been hung for a few days. MHO, If it is warm and/or you can do it, cut it up right away. If the weather is cool enough you can leave it for a few days, but it isn't going to "help" the taste. Getting the hide off right away is also up in the air. If it is going to freeze it is much easier to get the hide off right away. One thing I always do is hang them head up, for me it just seems like the easiest way to butcher them (I've done the upside down thing several times as well).