Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hanging aka Aging big game >

Hanging aka Aging big game

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hanging aka Aging big game

Old 09-16-2002, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hanging aka Aging big game

Generally when I luck up and get my deer it is usually during warmer weather. After a three hour trip home, we skin the animal and cut it down the middle and maybe allow it to hang over night then butcher and freeze the next day. However a friend and I are debating this practice and has advised that her deer needs to hang a while before processing.

The warmer temperatures speed up the aging process making less hanging time necessary.

Does anyone here have any information that might help in determining the proper time for aging. Obviously, the colder the temperatures are the more hanging time that is required.

Any suggestions are deeply appreciated.

Bowhunter
Old 09-16-2002, 07:51 PM

Default RE: Hanging aka Aging big game

actually you are very wrong, you need to get your deer to refridgeration as quick as possible to stop the bacteria from growing aging meat is used primarily for beef as it has a coarse fiber makeup and agin it breaks that down, deer on the other hand are a lean and small fibered animal if you want to get the most nutritinal value process your deer as soon as possible all agin does for a deer is reduce the amount of meat you will get when you do process it, i am a meatcutter for a local store chain, and have done this (as well as process deer on the side) for 15 years and have never aged my deer ..........DAB

<p<</HTML>
Old 09-16-2002, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well with handle like DA BUTCHER, I guess he knows this topic well. Agreed on all points made, it is an urban myth that you need to hang game, it does nothing to benifit the meat quality. If you check most butchers will process the deer imediately the only time they hang is when they are to backed up.

Old 09-16-2002, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

I cut mine up or take them to get processed (when im to lazy to do it)as soon as possible and get the meat in the freezer. I cant say that I have ever noticed a taste difference after leaving one hang a few days (when cold) vs immediatly processing one.

Old 09-16-2002, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

In a temperature of above 40 I never let it hang any longer than I have to.

With west nile, CWD, and who knows what else out there I don't want to give the bacteria a chance to get established.

Get it to the processer as quickly as you can and it will still taste fine.

SF

Old 09-16-2002, 10:17 PM

Listen to DA BUTCHER, get it cooled down and processed as soon as possible. Aging has no benefits for deer.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Meat that is hung in a constant temperature,34-36 degrees,will defintely be more tender and flavorful.If you have access to a meat locker or cooler,let it hang a minimum of 2 days before you butcher-a week is ideal as long as the temp is in that range.Raw meat and warm temps are breeding grounds for all kinds of bacteria and molds-cool the carcass as soon as possible.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the feedback guys. Getting my animal out of Eastern Washington STAT is generally not possible but we have a cool stream nearby and it helps tremendously.

My animal hangs overnight just because I'm generally too tired to cut wrap and freeze the night I get home. By the next day though it is processed and in my freezer.

My friend that I am debating with plans to age theirs REGARDLESS. I believe that to be a mistake. I think her thought is because her venison can be tough at times and hard to chew. OF COURSE she overcooks it what does she expect. ME . . . if it ain't moving when it comes off the grill, it's overdone.

Again thanks and I aploogize for posting the topic a second time.

Bowhunter