Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

How to make canned wild game

Old 10-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default How to make canned wild game

Canned Venison:
1 tsp AuJus paste in the bottom of a pint jar and 1/2" distilled water

1 TBLS AuJus paste in the bottom of a quart jar and 1/2" distilled water.

Trim off all fat, cube pieces to about 1” square sizes.

Be sure to add just under a ½ inch water to bottom of* the jar before you put the meat in, then add meat and leave 1” head space from meat to top of jar. When sealing lids make sure to tighten lid with thumb and pinky to be sure not to over tighten. Also you want to make sure the lip and lid is completely clean otherwise the lid wont seal. When cooled after cooking the lids should be pulled down, if they pop up* and down they didn’t seal, either refrigerate and consume with a few days or run the pressure canner again.
Place jars in pressure canner on the rack with 1.5” to 2” of water in the bottom of the pressure canner. Follow instructions on your pressure canner for proper use.
Start heating the water until steam comes out of vent hole on top of the lid. Once steam is coming out in steady steams a good head of steam has been achieved and removal of all air in the pressure canner. Now place the weight on the vent hole and let steam build up pressure until the weight starts to dance a bit, this is where you start timing. Slowly turn heat down until you have the weight dancing around 4 times a minute. After 75 minutes (for pints) and 90 minutes (for quarts) remove heat source and let canner sit and cool with the weight on the lid. After about 15 minutes pressure gauge should read zero, after it does you can remove the canner lid and place jars carefully on a wood surface, let them cool. As they cool you will hear the lids begin to pop into the sealed position, do not help them pop down they need to do it without the assistance of a finger. I always wait until they are room temp before moving them into a cool dark space in the basement. They will be good for many months to come.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:21 AM
Typical Buck

Here is a thread I started last year. I canned venison for the first time and we had a good discussion with some good info in it. I just finished my last pint a few weeks ago and I am ready for this season to do some more. I killed a small doe last year and kept the loins and backstraps. I then trimmed all the meat up and sent the scraps to the butcher for summer sausage and canned all the good red meat that was left.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp...-question.html

Cubed venison.

In the jar, I used a beef bullion cube and not au jus.

Finished products.