Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Canning Venison Sausage?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Canning Venison Sausage?

I just stuffed and smoked 50 lbs of Venison sausage. As always, I ended up with some ground sausage meat left in the bottom of my suffer. I usually just make patties out of this then grill it or fry it.

I also have the pressure caner going as I am canning Venison stew as well. So, I got to thinkin, why not stuff this left over meat into wide mouth jars and pressure can it? Might turn out like canned spam?

I did a search for canning ground meat and most of it calls for boiling or frying the meat first. Why? Is it not safe to Pressure can raw round meat?

What about this ground meat mixed with potatoes then canned, kinda like hash?

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Its dangerous to can a high starch item with meat. But you can can the raw ground meat just make small meat balls with it and add a little extra water then pressure cook for the 90 min interval. If it is sausage you may have enough salt content in the seasoning to get buy but to be safe maybe add 1/3 of the required salt you would normally use. We sell an Au Jus base we use with our canned venison recipe and it really make wild game tast just like grandmas sunday roast beef dinner.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think that cooking ground meat before canning would most likely be to cook some of the fat out, so it doesn't block the seals of the jars. I don't know why you would add water to raw meat before canning, as it should have enough juices come out in the canning process.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by friscospices.com
Its dangerous to can a high starch item with meat. But you can can the raw ground meat just make small meat balls with it and add a little extra water then pressure cook for the 90 min interval. If it is sausage you may have enough salt content in the seasoning to get buy but to be safe maybe add 1/3 of the required salt you would normally use. We sell an Au Jus base we use with our canned venison recipe and it really make wild game tast just like grandmas sunday roast beef dinner.
Like Stew? Isn't canning stew a very common practice. Meat on the bottom, topped with onions, celery, carrots and taters some broth and a trip to the canner? Is this not a good idea? Like this.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp...g-venison.html
Old 11-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, you add a bit of water to raw pack so you have enough juice to cover meat in jars after cooled. There simply isnt enough juice in the meat to completely cover meat. As far as starch goes, I have read in a couple of university studies that say the cooking of raw pack meats with raw potato clog meat pores with starch and keep meat from properly preserving. Not that it cant be done just I choose to not take the chance.