Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

How to cook Catfish Eggs?

Old 04-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Default How to cook Catfish Eggs?

My grandfather used to save the eggs from the catfish he caught.
And my grandmother would cook them for breakfast.
My grandfather loved them.
I have no idea how you cook catfish eggs.
Does any one here know how to cook them?

Thank You

jrbsr
Old 04-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
roll in flour, season and fry.
RR

How do you roll Catfish Eggs in flour?

Attached Thumbnails How to cook Catfish Eggs?-catfish-eggs.jpg  
Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

We used to eat the little sacs of eggs out of bass and bluegill. I always wanted my dad to save them, and we ate them, but I don't ever remember them being very good... very fishy tasting. It was something different though.

rw
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tried it as a kid but it was like eating a mouth full of sand. Nothing I would care to eat again.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

I never tried catfish eggs, but eat a lot of crappie and bream eggs in the spring. Don't break the egg sacs when you clean them, and you should have a V-patterned sac. Roll in corn meal, salt and pepper and fry in hot grease. Be careful, because they will probably burst open and splash grease when they reach a certain temperature. Enjoy
Old 04-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by newton29
I never tried catfish eggs, but eat a lot of crappie and bream eggs in the spring. Don't break the egg sacs when you clean them, and you should have a V-patterned sac. Roll in corn meal, salt and pepper and fry in hot grease. Be careful, because they will probably burst open and splash grease when they reach a certain temperature. Enjoy
How long do you fry it?
And how do you know when they are done?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Johnny fry to golden brown..2-4 minutes ..both sides.

I 've never eatten catfish roe but perch and bass are good

Shad is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny..the roe needs to be in a sac..other wise the eggs will spit and splatter all over the kitchen...fact..if I break the sac bad..I throw it away..{ -; I've never broke a sac..I'm careful with my roe.I LOVE FRIED FISH ROE

Last edited by Chuck7; 04-13-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Spike

The roe from bass, crappie, bream, catfish and shad is CAVIAR! When you flour your fish, just add the egg sacks and fry with the fish. Our fried fish are shaken in a grocery paper bag with seasoned flour(your choice of spices-we use salt/pepper/garlic powder/maybe a cajun spice mix) and fry the lot together. Word of caution-the loose eggs from the sack may pop a little, so be careful. They are an extra treat from your catch and very good for you. As with the fish/filets, when done they will float in the grease.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Spike

Location: Virginia, near the Rappahannock where fresh water turns salty

Originally Posted by Chuck7
Johnny fry to golden brown..2-4 minutes ..both sides.

Johnny..the roe needs to be in a sac..other wise the eggs will spit and splatter all over the kitchen...fact..if I break the sac bad..I throw it away..{ -; I've never broke a sac..I'm careful with my roe.I LOVE FRIED FISH ROE
Roe season is just beginning to get going. All the above applies except roe is too good to ever throw away. If you break a sack just save and mix with a chicken egg to cook and it won't even pop. When I have a lot of roe i save it all and package and label as to if broken, if it is use it with chicken eggs. Now is time to start with "coon" perch and pickrel roe, soon the other fish will start building the roe to full just before spawning. Here where it's saltwater I get lots of different roe. Rockfish, shad, herring, hickorys, even bunkers have good roe. Then later the speckled trout & croaker. If ya have a late winter wreck trip the black bass have good roe too. Then in may and early june if going fresh water fishing the catfish have roe, only it is kinda coarse textured and I personlly prefer the fine roe. AND when frying to a "golden" color the best thing to use is bacon grease, of course.

10 ga
Old 04-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Spike

Default Catfish roe

Son-in-law brought over an ice chest of catfish. Being the middle of April, there was some roe in them. I dusted them with Lawry's seasoned salt and garlic powder and fried them in bacon grease. Ate them. Wished I had looked at this forum before I fried 'em and rolled 'em in flour first. Tasted ok. Someone used a description that it was like eating sand. Well, I kinda agree. The idea of deep frying in olive oil with the rest of the filets sounds good. I try it next time around...