Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Anyone have any good fish BATTER recipes where the batter stays on the fish? >

Anyone have any good fish BATTER recipes where the batter stays on the fish?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Anyone have any good fish BATTER recipes where the batter stays on the fish?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Anyone have any good fish BATTER recipes where the batter stays on the fish?

He guys ..I normally drege my fish through a cornmeal and flour mixture..I 've tried some beer batter fish etc...but have a hard time keeping the batter on the fish after it's frying.Does anyone have a good recipe..
Old 03-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

I buy a beer batter mix that I just add beer to. As long as the grease is hot and I don't turn the filet until the one side is golden brown, I don't have a problem with the batter coming off. Sorry if this was no help.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

i had some of the best battered frogs legs last year, the guy who made them used a concoction of pancake mix (the kind you pour out) and flour, think it was like 1/4 to 3/4 ratios. Those were the most battered fried things ive ever seen.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Regardless of what batter you use, I suggest dipping or rolling your food ( Fish, Onion Ring, Venison, Veggies etc) in flour first, then in your batter.

Beer batter:
1 cup flour
1 1/8 tsp baking powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 egg
1 cup flat beer

Venison Appy's
Batter for Venison cubes- 1/2-3/4"

1 cup of Flour
1 ¼ teaspon of Double Acting Baking Powder
¾ cup Cold Water
1 teaspon Salt
Then deep fry till golden

Old 04-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS..Appreciate the time and recip[es..I will be trying them and sending pics the next time I fry fish..I love battered fish..
Old 05-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Spike

Default My fish Fry batter

When we fry up our catfish here we generally use Zatarans seasoned fish fry. For the actual batter I use:

1 Egg
1/3 to 1/2 Can of beer (Diet Coors in my case )
1 Tablespoon of milk
1/8 to 1/4 Cup Yellow mustard (to taste)

Put the fresh caught fish into the mustard batter and roll through the Zatarans. Drop into hot oil (360-370 degrees) and enjoy!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jerseyhunter
Regardless of what batter you use, I suggest dipping or rolling your food ( Fish, Onion Ring, Venison, Veggies etc) in flour first, then in your batter.

\
agree,
generally the batter will not stick to the fish,
usually need something that acts as a binder between batter and fish,
also before putting anything on the fish, make sure you pat dry it with paper towels or similar
Old 05-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Not sure if it would work on fish or not but last night on food network they had a "best of" show on and the profiled the best breaded tenderloin. The guy dipped his loins in batter, and then dipped them again. After the 2nd dip they go into the fridge over night to "firm up" and then the cook them the next day.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:31 AM
j76
Typical Buck

I always do a wet/dry double batter. You take whatever for batter, I like Drakes for fish, put some in a bowl and mix with beer making a kinda thin wet batter, then from there i put it in a gallon ziploc bag full of dry batter and toss it around coating well. Really hot oil is the key with any batter I think. I also always fry in a large cast iron skillet with about 1 1/2 of oil as opposed to deep frying, i seem to have an easier time getting a more consistant color and texture to the finished product.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

Coat your fish with Louisiana Hot Sauce or Tabasco (sounds like it will come out hot but it doesn't)

Add a little yellow mustard and mix up the fish. let it sit for 30 - 60 minues for best results.

Put some Zatarans fish fry or Louisiana fish fry in a zip lock bag, add fish and shake.

Fry in oil, 375 degrees. The best fried fish you ever had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.