Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

new to smoking

Old 06-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default new to smoking

Hey guys, I just got a smoker for my birthday, and wondered if you can post a few easy recipes, im trying to get the wife hooked, so any help would be welcomed,, big guy,, nice looking stuff you got goin there!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: new to smoking

Fattie - Take a 1lb log of jimmy dean sausage and roll it out on 2pcs of overlapping plastic wrap till about 10"x12" and a 1/4-3/8" thick. I chop up some green peppers,onions and cheddar cheese. Then sprinkle on one half-2/3, leaving atleast 1"boarder on the sides and 1 1/2" on one end. Roll like a jelly roll using the plastic wrap. seal the ends and the seam. Twist plastic wrap like a tootsie roll and refridgerate 2-3 hours to overniight to stiffen up . Unwrap and smoke at 225*-245* for about 2-21/2 hours or till internal temp of 160* is reached. I make this for breakfast and it goes quick so I make a couple and freeze or refrigerate one for latter on.

While the fatties are cooking I prepare some ABT'sAtomic Buffalo Turds, Slice a jalapeno pepper lenthwise in half, scoop out seeds and membrane, fill with either chedder I like cream cheese and then wrap in bacon and fasten with a toothpic. When the fatty comes out (about 9 or 10am) I put in the abt's and smoke till the bacons done. At the same time the abt's go in I put in some chicken thighs. The abt's are done around 11 -12 am for snacks with a beer and the chicken comes out for lunch at around 1pm. Oh and all this is going on while smoking a pork butt for dinner that was put in the same time as the fatty.
1 (6 pound) beef brisket
Preheat the smoker to 225 degrees F.
Trim the fat evenly across the top to 1/4-inch thick. Season the brisket liberally with the seasoning rub. Smoke until the internal temperature on an instant- read meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees F, about 8 hours. Remove the meat from the smoke, sprinkle on some apple juice, and wrap in a double layer of aluminum foil to seal in the juices and place it in the oven or back on the smoker for about 8 more hours till 195-205*. Remove and wrap in towel and place in a coolerto rest for 2 hours.. Slice in 1/4-inch thick slices.

Remember your smoking to a temp. not by time and also don't forget either an aluminum pan or foil to catch the drippings as to not make a mess. I use seperate pans as the dripping from the pork go back in the foil and used for a sauce at the end.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

Fatties,Ribs and Brisket,Yard birds, ABT's are the current biggies

try some ribs. rub with magic dust, let it work overnight in the fridge.
3,2, 1 method. place ribs in smoker @about 225F smoke for 3 hrs. spritz with apple juice 3-4 times. remove ribs wrap in foil then back in the smoker for 2 more hrs. remove foil and baste with your favorite sauce cook another hour. remove from smoker re-wrap in foil to rest for 15-20 minutes. Stand back when you serve as there will be a rush. LOL

Magic Dust

Ingredients:

½ cup paprika
¼ cup kosher salt, finely ground
¼ cup sugar
2 tbs mustard powder
¼ cup chili powder
¼ cup ground cumin
2 tbs ground black pepper
¼ cup granulated garlic
2 tbs cayenne pepper

Directions:

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container.

try this glaze

Mango Honey Glaze

1 cup mango nectar
1/4 cup honey (orange blossom if you can find it)
1 tbs dijon mustard
1 tbs onion powder
1 tbs minced garlic
1 tbs ground cumin
1 tbs ground black pepper
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
a pinch of ground clove

Pour ingredients into a small sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk ingredients together thoroughly as mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let cool

Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is that white or brown sugar in the dust? Thanks for the recipe.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys gonna try my luck here asap!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

I use just regular white sugar, the brown is too moist and tends to clump up.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Some tips...dos and don't s
I started smoking about 6 months ago and learned a few things..I have the Walmart Brinkman Smoker..kind of cheap but works..I had to drill a bunch of 1/2 inch holes in the bottom of the firepan to get oxygen to the fire..this helped alot..Becasue of a lawsuit..Brinkman has a solid firepan..at least that's what I read..the old style Brinkmans caused a couple of fires.

A.the chips in the storeare small and the temperature doesn't get that hot..so I cut my own chips with a bandsaw..about 1/2 inch thick..

B.to be honest with ya ..my ribs have never gotten so done that they copme off the bone easily..so my wife finishes them in a crock pot for about 3 hours.the smoke flavor is in them real good anyhow.

C. Heat your water before you put it in the smoker..heats up faster..

D. Don;t buy cheap charcoal..get the Kingford..

E. I clean my smoker before using it..the greasy black stuff will lay on the skin of your chicken..

F.Keep an eye on the water..or you will be burning porcelan all over your food..Needs changed about every 1 1/2 hours

I love smoking..we usually smoke enough to last about 5 days..favorites..chicken quarrters, ribs..Boston Butts..Again..if the smoker doesn't cook it through totally finish her up in the crock pot..it's still smoked.Keeping the temperature at about 230 is tough with those Walmart Brinkmans..I found bigger wood chunks help..but not too big..it will burn your lower level food..[8D]After a few smokes you'll be a pro..Experiment with different wood..there is a difference..if all fails..Walmart sells hickory chips..you can't fail with hickory.

have fun..
C7