HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new to smoking
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 02:53 AM
jerseyhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: new to smoking

Fattie - Take a 1lb log of jimmy dean sausage and roll it out on 2pcs of overlapping plastic wrap till about 10"x12" and a 1/4-3/8" thick. I chop up some green peppers,onions and cheddar cheese. Then sprinkle on one half-2/3, leaving atleast 1"boarder on the sides and 1 1/2" on one end. Roll like a jelly roll using the plastic wrap. seal the ends and the seam. Twist plastic wrap like a tootsie roll and refridgerate 2-3 hours to overniight to stiffen up . Unwrap and smoke at 225*-245* for about 2-21/2 hours or till internal temp of 160* is reached. I make this for breakfast and it goes quick so I make a couple and freeze or refrigerate one for latter on.

While the fatties are cooking I prepare some ABT'sAtomic Buffalo Turds, Slice a jalapeno pepper lenthwise in half, scoop out seeds and membrane, fill with either chedder I like cream cheese and then wrap in bacon and fasten with a toothpic. When the fatty comes out (about 9 or 10am) I put in the abt's and smoke till the bacons done. At the same time the abt's go in I put in some chicken thighs. The abt's are done around 11 -12 am for snacks with a beer and the chicken comes out for lunch at around 1pm. Oh and all this is going on while smoking a pork butt for dinner that was put in the same time as the fatty.
1 (6 pound) beef brisket
Preheat the smoker to 225 degrees F.
Trim the fat evenly across the top to 1/4-inch thick. Season the brisket liberally with the seasoning rub. Smoke until the internal temperature on an instant- read meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees F, about 8 hours. Remove the meat from the smoke, sprinkle on some apple juice, and wrap in a double layer of aluminum foil to seal in the juices and place it in the oven or back on the smoker for about 8 more hours till 195-205*. Remove and wrap in towel and place in a coolerto rest for 2 hours.. Slice in 1/4-inch thick slices.

Remember your smoking to a temp. not by time and also don't forget either an aluminum pan or foil to catch the drippings as to not make a mess. I use seperate pans as the dripping from the pork go back in the foil and used for a sauce at the end.