Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 What is a good hand grinder to start with? >

What is a good hand grinder to start with?

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

What is a good hand grinder to start with?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:04 AM

Default What is a good hand grinder to start with?

My wife and I want to convert some of our game meat into jerkey and sausage and are looking into a hand grinder but don't know what is a good model and if we will regret not just going electric. We would only need it for about one deer and maybe two hogs in a season. The second part of this question is if it is much better to have a sausage stuffer or is using the grinder plenty good for making links. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is a good hand grinder to start with?

I really don't know about hand grinders. I have only used the grinder attachment ona kitchenaid mixer. It works OK for small quantities. I believe they sell a sausage stuffer attachment too.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would go with an electric grinder. I started out with my wife's kitchen-aid, then I bought the small 1/3 hp no 8 Cabella's grinder about 6-7 years ago and have been wishing I bought atleast the next size bigger. I only do 2-4 deer a year. It works great and I don't plan on getting anything bigger anytime soon. As far as stuffers. I bought the stuffing tubes to fit the grinder. worked good at first but you couldn't use it making hotdogs so now I have the 5lb vertical crank stuffer. Makes sausage making fast and easy. Good luck and put the money you would use on a hand grinder towards an electric.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:39 AM
Typical Buck

If you want to try a hand grinder I would suggest at least a size 22 or even a size 32. They will grind fine. Not to worry about brand, you can go cheap and get a castmodel that is plated or for a few moredollars get a stainless model. The beauty with a hand grinder is you get a big size grinder that will last and which you can add a motor to and you never need another grinder.
As far as stuffing with the grinder it will work OK on larger sized sausage such as brats ( with some practice) smaller sausages are difficult with that set up and I would recomend a seperate stuffer, just stay away from plastic gears, they work fine for large casings but won't stand up to stuffing smaller snack stix.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

get the hand grinder that has a large wheel on it, its for attaching a fan belt to an electric motor, and whalla you have an electric grinder
Old 01-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use my KitchenAid mixer with the grinder attachment. I have done very large quantities, and it does well with them. I grind probably 5-6 deer per season with it, and it has held up like a champ. I also make links with it using the stuff attachment. Plus, with the mixer, you can mix the sausage too, all with one machine. The money you would spend on a grinder you can get the kitchen-aid and attachments.