Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Hand Grinder Recommendation

Old 12-01-2004, 10:43 AM

Default Hand Grinder Recommendation

I am thinking about buying a hand grinder to process some venison.

Does anyone have any recommendations on make, model and where you purchased it? Any guidance appreciated!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hand Grinder Recommendation

The more rust preventive coating it has the better, ex, nickel plated, stainless steel etc. Stay away from plastic and when your done, clean , dry and spray with a food grade silicone available through Cabella's. I always had good sucess with anything bought from the Sausage Maker> Although I have their elec. grinder I'm sure their hand ones are of the same quality. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/
Old 12-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

I use a size #22 and it does the job fairly quickly. I wouldn't recommend going smaller than that. For once or twice a year use it's hard to justify spending the money for an electric.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

For once or twice a year use it's hard to justify spending the money for an electric.
I agree, but once you start dabling in butchering your own deer and making your own burgers, then comes , Sausage, Jerkey, Kielbasy, Bologna, Salami, before you know it your grinding down chickens to make your own chicken roll and with whats left you make pillows......... It's addicting and funnnnnnn. So why start out with a hand grinder when you can use that money to offset the price of an electric. I got tired of buying things twice, now I just buy once, for ex. I talked myself out of buying a hand sausage stuffer for 70$ and put that towards the 5 lb verticle hand crank model 215. so in reality it was only 145 more. Also I can make hotdogs easier with it.