Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 Converting a hand crank grinder to electric? >

Converting a hand crank grinder to electric?

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Converting a hand crank grinder to electric?

Old 11-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default Converting a hand crank grinder to electric?

I've got a smaller hand crank meat grinder. The kind that clamps onto a table, not the kind that bolts on. I also have a 1/3 HP electric motor from a dishwasher. It's label says it does 3450 rpms. I know that a small pulley wheel is needed on the shaft of the motor and a larger pulley wheel is needed on the grinder with a belt connecting the two. I just wondered what diameter wheels are needed for the best rpm's to operate the grinder. Also was wondering what would be the best surface to mount the two things. A piece of plywood, a 2 x 12, some 3/16 steel plate, or something else.

The motor also has a black, yellow and white wire. I take it the black is hot and white is neutral.[/align]
Old 11-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Spike

Default RE: Converting a hand crank grinder to electric?

i use a 1 1/2" on the motor and a 10" on the grinder. just moved up this year to 1/2 hp up from 1/3,same rpm. mount it on anything you mentioned, I've been tweaking mine for years, different pulleys,etc, just use something easy to clean,easy to disassemble and a on/off switch mounted nearby is a nice thing too.in case you have tokill the power kinda quick.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:41 PM

Default RE: Converting a hand crank grinder to electric?

Err, what you don't want to do is remove the handle & then chuck up your DeWalt 1/2" drill to the shaft. Slings meat all over the walls & ceiling.

Want to guess how I found this out?