Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Canning Venison

Old 11-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Canning Venison

Definition of Botulism:
Botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by the bacteria Clostridium botulinum. The bacteria may enter the body through wounds, or they may live in improperly canned or preserved food.
[/align]
Causes, incidence, and risk factors:
Clostridium botulinum is found in soil and untreated water throughout the world. It produces spores that survive in improperly preserved or canned food, where they produce toxin. When eaten, even tiny amounts of this toxin can lead to severe poisoning.
The foods most commonly contaminated are home-canned vegetables, cured pork and ham, smoked or raw fish, and honey or corn syrup. Botulism may also occur if the organism enters open wounds and produces toxin there.
Infant botulism occurs when living bacteria or its spores are eaten and grow within the baby's gastrointestinal tract. The most common cause of infant botulism is eating honey or corn syrup.
Clostridium botulinum also occurs normally in the stool of some infants.
Approximately 110 cases of botulism occur in the U.S. per year. The majority are in infants.

Symptoms:
Symptoms usually appear between 8 - 36 hours after consuming contaminated food.
In adults, symptoms may include:

Abdominal cramps
Breathing difficulty that may lead to respiratory failure
Difficulty swallowing and speaking
Double vision
Dry mouth
Nausea
Temporary lack of breathing
Vomiting
Weakness with paralysis[/ul]
Symptoms in infants may include:

Constipation
Weakness, loss of muscle tone
Weak cry
Poor feeding and weak sucking
Respiratory distress
Alertness, despite weakness[/ul][/align]
Signs and tests:
The doctor will perform a physical exam. There may be signs of:

Speech impairment
Muscle function/feeling loss
Eyelid drooping
Absent or decreased gag reflex
Absent or decreased deep tendon reflexes
Paralyzed bowel
Urine retention with inability to urinate[/ul]
Blood tests can be done to identify toxin. A stool culture may also be ordered. Lab tests can be done on the suspected food to confirm botulism.
[/align][/align]

Treatment:
Botulinus antitoxin is given.
Breathing trouble requires hospitalization. The health care team will establish a clear airway and provide supportive therapy. A tube may be inserted through the nose or mouth into the windpipe to provide an airway for oxygen. A breathing machine may be needed.
Intravenous fluids can be given when the patient has swallowing difficulties. A feeding tube may be inserted in the nose.
Cases of botulism are reported to state health authorities or the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention by health care providers so that the contaminated food can be removed from stores. Antibiotics are often given, but have not been shown to always be beneficial.
[/align]
Expectations (prognosis):
Prompt treatment significantly reduces the risk of death.
[/align]
Complications:

Aspiration pneumonia and infection
Respiratory distress
Long-lasting weakness
Nervous system problems for up to 1 year[/ul][/align]
Calling your health care provider:
Go to the emergency room or call the local emergency number (such as 911) if you suspect botulism.
[/align][/align]

Prevention:
NEVER give honey or corn syrup to infants younger than 1 year old -- not even just a little taste on a pacifier.
Prevent infant botulism by breastfeeding, if possible.
Always throw away bulging cans or off-smelling preserved foods. Sterilize home-canned foods by pressure cooking at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
Keep foil-wrapped baked potatoes hot or in the refrigerator, not out in room temperature.
[/align][/align]
[/align][/align][/align][/align]
Old 11-23-2008, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use about the same recipe I add teaspoon canning salt 1 beef bouillon cube & 1 slice of bacon per quart excellent tasting
ORIGINAL: Pygmy

I have cold packed my venison for years with good results...

Most importantly, if you want a good product, it must be clean and free of hairs, fat, bloodshot, etc. .Use only good lean meat.. Save the shanks, neck meatand other less desirable parts for grinding..

I cut the meat into chunks about 1" square... Pack raw into clean jars, leaving a little headspace... No liquid is necessary.. I put 1 teaspoon salt in a quart or 1/2 teaspoon in a pint, but that's optional...Sometimes I substitute beef bouillon cubes for salt, and sometimes I put in a small slice from a garlic clove...

Screw the lids down tight and process 90 minutes in a pressure canner...

That's all there is to it..
Old 12-06-2008, 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

I do, however, believe the original poster asked for cold pack method, which to me says water bath. I have friends and some relatives who use this method, and have for years. Not that I agree with it, but it's how they have been doing it. Usual prep deal...meat into cubes, tsp. of salt added, meat 1" below top of jar. Lids screwed on tight, placed in boiling water bath for 3 hrs. Nobody has gotten sick from it yet....
this is how my family has done it for years and has worked for me, worked when my parents done it, worked when my grandparents done it. i do have a question??? was pressure canning used before "water bath" canning methods? i grew up using water bath and was under the impression that the only differences between the 2 methods was time, but same end result??
Old 12-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

"Cold Pack" is a term used when you putcold food into a jar to be processed, either by a water bath or pressure canning, "hot Pack" is a term used when packing hot food into a jar for further processing. Before pressure canning people got sick and some died . Why would you gamble with your family's health, even if the odds are low.Time has nothing to do with it, its temperature, a pressure canner can heat food to a higher temperature to kill botulism spores. a water bath can never get over 212 F you need at least 240 F to kill botulism spores.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:42 PM

i was just saying that is how i myself have always done it and i am sure there is still alot of people still using this process. i remember when canning season came around we canned using an open fire and a 55 gallon drum cut in two pcs. we lined it with blue jeans and had built a spacer for the bottom of the drum out of wood(so the jars didnt sit on the metal). we canned 2 dozen jars at a time for days. i havent canned massively like that in years, but it has been been fresh on my mind for next year if the economy stays in the shape it is in. i am not arguring your point about botulism spores. i was just adding to this thread that i have used "water bath" canning for gardening and deer meat. i guess i am a "hick" and just have stuck with the methods in which i was showed and know.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

Not a Hick but a possible Darwin award winner
Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Spike

Default Cold Pack Venison Amish style

My father in law introduced me to a cold pack method that hasn't failed him or I yet for beef or venison. He has a number of Amish friends and got this recipe from one of them many years ago.

Obviously if your afraid of cold packed meat disregard but this is tried and true. My test? My scientific proof? Well myself, my family and friends as well as many amish communities in ohio are alive and well.

Like the other recipies, clean and cube your meat to 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes. I then pat the meat completely dry, this is important for this approach as juice from the meat will fill the jar while processing and you don't want the jar boiling over. Fill the cleaned jars to about 1 inch head space with the meat and add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of viniger. (note that there is no other liquid in the jars but the viniger. Put lids and rings on snug but not tight.

Place jars in preheated oven (175 deg) for approx 8 hours.

When done the jars will be filled half to 3/4 or more with juice from the meat and will be boiling.

Remove jars from oven, Tighten lids completely and place upsidedown on the counter (and someplace that will not get any cold breezes). Leave for 24 hours before moving.

This approach is a little more time consuming but in a regular oven you can process significantly more jars at one time than a hot water bath or pressure cooker approach.

The viniger and salt are unnoticable in the flavor and this meat can be eaten cold out of the jar for several years after procesing. Your friends will not know it isn't beef.

Last year 2009, I found a jar of beef my father n law gave me that he canned in 2004. I was pleasently suprised when I opened it that it was just as good as the day it was canned.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you for the replies, esp Big Guys I've got both water bath which we do jam in and a pressure cooker, but it only has the rocker weight on it. I need to get one with an actual gauge I guess.