Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Turkey legs

Old 04-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default Turkey legs

I have always just thrown away my turkey legs and the back. Anyone ever cook them? Results?

Spudrow from Mo
Old 04-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Turkey legs

They make great Black Jacks if that tells ya anything.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

I hear that. We were just wondering if we were missing something since our neighbors just love em. Apparently not!!!

Spudrow from Mo

Old 04-26-2008, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why not grind them up for chilie or tacos?
Old 04-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

They need to be cooked long and slow or Ground up , They make a great chili, meatloaf, burgers, sausage!
Old 05-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

They sure are a LOT different than store-bought legs.....but they can be used. Just takes a little more time. I, for one, love the dark meat when done right.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:57 PM

I posted a recipe titled "Stop throughing the dark meat" Give it a try and let me know what you think. I think it tastse a lot like beef stew.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Legs...there's two parts, thigh and drumstick. Debone the thighs, rinse and season to taste with whatever (salt & pepper, cajun, greek, Montreal steak, etc) and grill like a flank steak. Remove from fire and slice across the grain. For the drumsticks...brown them in the oven and strip the meat from the bone & tendons with a fork. Then use in soups, stews, gumbos, chili, etc. Brown the back and do the same. It's good meat and you worked hard to get it. Why waste it?
Old 05-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

I smoke my turkey legs using a cajun seasoning and black pepper. Also spinkle the outside with tender quick and make a solution of tender quick and inject it into the legs. I Then put them in a big plastic bowl and let set in refrigerator over night. Then prior to smoking, bast them with a mixture of honey,butter and lemon juice. Then about half way through the smoking process bast them again with the same mixture. I usually buy about 15 to 20 legs at a time. Eat a few after smoking and put the rest in seal a meal bags, one each to a bag, and put in the freezer. Then when I use them just put a small hole in the bag and put into the microwave. Zeak
Old 05-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Dominant Buck

The thighs are fairly good, my wife loves them, as for the drumsticks...well...they work well on a limb line for catfishing or catching snapping turtles.

Quick Reply: Turkey legs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.