Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Sour beef and dumplings

Old 01-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sour beef and dumplings

Dang... I keep coming back to this thread and getting more hungry.

Gotta get a roast out of the freezer I guess.

Bob
Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

Finally had a chance to cook this, All i can say is yummy. The kids did not care for it much, so i had it all to myself. But that was my fault. I deviated from the recipe a bit. The liquid did not fully cover the meat so i added a couple more cups of water. Then i started thinking i probably watered it down so i added a bit more spices and vinegar. maybe a tad to much vinegar for the kids. I had no more red wine vinegar so i went with white distilled vinegar. Was a bit strong But it was still good.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:37 AM
Fork Horn

I too tried it out. I pretty much followed the instructions and let the meat soak in the vinegar/spice for two days. I used 1 cup of cider vinegar and one cup of red wine vinegar. Where I departed from the recipe was, I cut the roast into 2 1/2" thick steaks instead of leaving them whole. I started with 2 longish venison roasts (3 1/2 lb total) and thought the shorter meat fibers of the steaks would work better. I also forgot to get ginger snaps so when I made the gravey I added ginger and mollasses and thickened it with corn starch.

I made the potato dumplings with the couton center and steamed carrots with parsley and butter for side dishes. We ate most of it right off. My wife even took some for lunch at work the next day and the leftovers did not last long.

Give it a try.

Bob
Old 02-21-2008, 03:25 PM

I tried it too, with a couple of "rounds" from the venison hind quarters. I kind of "married" the two recipies, and it turned out awesome. Lotta goofing around, but worth it, I'll make it again for sure. I did the potato dumplings, and served it with my brother's homemade kraut.