Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Cornmeal Dumplings?

Old 02-14-2003, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default Cornmeal Dumplings?

I remember when I was in my early teens, walking the couple of miles of pines between my two grandparents houses during squirrel season and bagging a few. When I got to my Granny Oliver' s, she took them after I had cleaned them and about an hour later said " Come n' get it" .

I have never enjoyed squirrel any better. But I am afraid she may have taken that recipe to her grave. My mom doesn' t remember ever having this type meal.

I' m hoping someone here might be able to help. The squirrels were quartered and I believe floured and seared in bacon fat. I remember they went into a pressure cooker for some amount of time. But when they were served, the pieces were in a gravy sauce with dumplings. Not flour based, but rather cornmeal. And not fried like hush-puppies.

I' ve tried duplicating them from time to time, but no luck. Can anyone help?