Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

2 Questions - Please Help!!

Old 04-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default 2 Questions - Please Help!!

#1) I have smoked a few roasts in my electric smoker and they have been very tender and good, but I am wondering how long and to what temperature to cook them so that they can be pulled apart, or shredded, to make BBGQ sandwiches. So far the meat has not been tender (or whater makes it do this) to flake apart with a fork - like at BBQ restaurants.

#2) I have read in the search that when cooking brisket, once it has reached the correct temperature then they will put in in foil and then put in in the freezer or ice chest. Why is this?

I am new to smoking and have read two books that I bought but I cannot find these anwsers in them.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2 Questions - Please Help!!

1) when I make pulled porkmy temp is 225 and14 to 16hrs. Your internal should be at 180 to 185. Then let it rest about 15 mins. I use an electric thermonitor itmakes it alot easier and you don't have to keep opening the door loseing the heat and smoke
2) Notsure but maybeto stop the meat from cooking.
here's one I did awhile ago took 16hrs but worth every minute
as for brisket times are a little longer and temps are about the same.
It's all trial an error, being each cooker is differant. Over cooking is some what impossible with the brisket & pulled pork. Not saying it can't be done, but you'd have to try awfully hard.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:23 PM

Before you cook the meat, let it get almost room temp. If you start with frozen or very cold meat it will take a lot longer for the center to come up to temp. This will cause it to be tough. Fall apart= low and slow, also keep moist. Moisture in the smoker or wrap it part way through the process. Wrapping and putting in a cooler lets it keep coking and cool off slowly. This lets the juices go back into the meat.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never done this with pork(yet)but frequently cook Venison roast and Turkey on a Weber.I mix up a seasoned Chicken or Beef broth and inject into meat.Makes for great flavor and very moist meat.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Moist & juicy? Alot of people overlook these important things.

DO NOT USE A MEAT FORK ON YOUR ROAST. It only serves to create drain holes. It's really simple to understand but most will put it on the grate with a meat fork and poke it to turn it and check it = drain holes.

Keep water in a steamer tray. Not a cup or little miniature pie tin, the bigger surface area the more moisture (steam) will be created. Keep the roasts covered with a complete canopy of heavy duty foil so that the steam will be totally enveloping the roast.

I've seen guys sear the roast before smoking to seal it also and it seems to work pretty good.

But when I do pork just for BBQ sandwiches I haven't found anything that beats the crock pot. I do a couple med roasts in apple juice til fork tender. Then I pull them out and flake them, dump back in crock and bath in BBQ sauce. Serve on big old rolls (buns? I can't stand buns!)

Seems like pork roast is always on sale over here at the grocery - so when we do a party thing there's a good chance it's pork sandwiches!
I do the regular anda little different batch for those looking for some zip. I add chopped white onions and chopped jalepenos.