Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 what do you do with your backstrap? >

what do you do with your backstrap?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

what do you do with your backstrap?

Old 01-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what do you do with your backstrap?

I like to eat my backstraps as plain as I can. The way that a tenderloin is served in any restaurant. I never marinate, and only cook with a bit or salt and pepper. Coat with vegetable oil and grill to rare - med rare.

In my opinion doing anything else to them is a wast of the best cut of meat on the animal.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Walnut encrusted venison chops with a dijon bourban finishing sauce

I've been making this for quite some time and just about have it perfected.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:57 PM

And why don't you give me the recipe?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:40 PM

my dad takes them and puts them in a smoker and puts bbq souce on them thay are really good
Old 01-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

lightly dusted with flour/ seasoning salt and flash fried in very little olive oil to medium rare. Ummmmmm Ummmmmm Good!!!!
Old 01-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

And why don't you give me the recipe?
No problem.

Egg wash/coat the chops:

Dip and coat chops in (in this order):
- flour
- egg wash (one egg beaten, add a bit of milk to smooth out)
- finely chopped walnuts/breadcrumbs (10% bread crumbs, 90% walnuts)

Set aside and place all of them in the pan once oil is hot enough (the secret to encrusting is to sear the coating to a crispy crust so it won't fall off while cooking - the breadcrumbs help hold the crust together).

Heat olive oil (enough just to cover bottom of pan) in fry pan, preferably cast iron. Get good and hot, just under the point where the oil starts to smoke.

Throw in coated chops, sear and brown both sides - a minute or so each side being careful not to knock off coating.

Turn down to a simmer, add a 1/2c bourban, cover. Let simmer until chops are medium to medium rare, depending on how you like them. Remember that the chops will continue to cook for a few minutes once taken out of the pan.

Take out chops, place on warmed plate, cover with another warm plate (keeping them warm is the key so however you choose to do that will be fine).

Back to the pan you just took them out of: add dijon mustard (1/2c or better), bourban (1/2c or so), and season to taste with:

garlic
salt
pepper
hickory spice
blackening spice
cumin powder
ground cayenne pepper
1/4 stick butter
whatever else you think may taste good

Stir in enough heavy whipping cream to thicken and lighten the sauce a bit (you could also use flour or corn starch as well, but the cream gives it a nicer consistency).

Boil for a few minutes to boil off alcohol and to make flavors all jiggy.

Pour sauce over chops.

Enjoy.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:52 PM

Rub whole backstrap with crushed garlic, lightly salt and pepper.
Broil whole backstrap until very rare, set aside
on ungreased cookie sheet, overlap layers of Filo dough to make a layer a bit longer than the backstrap, with a minumum of 4 layers of filo dough. Place backstrap down center of dough, cover with thawed and drained spinach leaves, sprinkle crumbled Feta cheese over spinach, working from alternate sides, fold Filo dough leaves over top of backstrap/spinach/feta until whole backstrap is covered, brushing with melted butter between leaves of dough. Bake in 350 degree oven until Filo dough is golden brown. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

butterfly it and cook it ASP or I wont get any..plane and simple,well maybe afew spices like A-1.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Christine B

lightly dusted with flour/ seasoning salt and flash fried in very little olive oil to medium rare. Ummmmmm Ummmmmm Good!!!!
This is how I do mine also. Quik, easy and little clean up.
I had taken a fillet of salmon out of the freezer this morning but thanks to you all, I exchanged it for some backstraps. [8D]

Bobby
Old 01-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

Same as mooshunter21 but we shake on a bit of garlic powder. As close to expensive beef tenderloin as we can afford.

Quick Reply: what do you do with your backstrap?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.