HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   what do you do with your backstrap? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/172911-what-do-you-do-your-backstrap.html)

BuckHunter92 01-01-2007 10:15 AM

what do you do with your backstrap?

well i was just wondering what all of you guys do with your backstrap.. how you marinade and cook it and stuff.. we havnt tried much yet because it is really good just broiled with some seasoning on it or something.. or even fried.. i just wondered what are some good marinades or seasonings that you guys use and how you cook your backstrap
thanks

moosehunter21 01-01-2007 05:57 PM

RE: what do you do with your backstrap?

Grilled Med. Rare with salt and pepper.

jminon 01-02-2007 09:12 PM

Cut 3/4 inch steaks all the way down it.....sprinkle both sides of the steaks with Tony Chechere's Creole seasoning and grill til pink in the middle. Only do as much as needed for the meal because reheated venison gets tough quick.

If you have a problem with any of your backstrape...PLEASE feel free to send it to me!!!!!

BEARBUSTER66 01-03-2007 04:50 PM

Cut into steak size chunks, ital. dress'n throw it on the grill med to med well. or cut into 1/8" slices soak in your favorite jerky season'n poke a tooth pick through the slices hang them in the oven racks, keep temp low and enjoy some great jerky!!

stikbow26 01-05-2007 01:24 PM

If you want a good one cut it into 1 inch chunks and marinate it in honey over night and then wrap in bacon and ook over an open fire.. UM UM good. Walt

waiting_for_a_gift 01-08-2007 10:16 AM

Unwrap from freezer, slice 1/2" thick, sprinkle both sides with seasoning salt. Build a fire under your cast iron skillet, add some bacon grease. Slice up a large onion, saute. When onion is well underway, start frying your backstrap cutlets. If pan is good and hot, about 30 seconds on each side is adequate. Serve with salad and bake potatoes, just as you would any steak.

I'm coming back with my very favorite recipie. stand by.

waiting_for_a_gift 01-08-2007 10:18 AM

VENISON PARMESAN

2 lbs. Venison steak or chops, cut 1/2" thick
1 cup seasoned flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 lb. Mozzarella cheese, sliced or grated
1C seasoned bread crumbs
2 C grated Parmesan cheese
1 C tomato sauce
1 C chopped tomatoes
1/2 C minced onion
3- 4 cloves garlic, minced
1 t oregano
1 t basil

Tenderize the chops with a meat hammer. Dredge them in seasoned flour, dip in them in the egg mixture, and then coat them with the seasoned bread crumbs mixed with 1 C grated parmesan. After the chops have been tenderized and breaded, place them in the refrigerator while you prepare the sauce. This allows the cutlets to absorb the breading and stiffen up. Sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil, and then add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, oregano and basil. Simmer the sauce while you brown the cutlets in olive oil in a heavy skillet. Arrange the cutlets in a single layer in a shallow baking pan, cover with the Mozzarella cheese (be generous), then spread the sauce mixture over the cheese. Cover this with grated Parmesan cheese, and bake for 1/2 hour at 350. Serve over pasta, with Italian salad, hot crusty garlic bread and chilled red table wine.

Notes: This dish is portable. I have prepared this ahead of time and not done the final baking, but just kept the pan refrigerated and covered with foil. In this case it requires a full hour at 350 to heat through. Another pointer is that you may substitute canned spaghetti sauce for the sauce in the recipe. Also, I highly recommend that chops from the backstraps are used, rather than ordinary steak.

IL_Hunter 01-09-2007 06:35 AM

Cut back straps about 1\2" or 3/4" thick
Take meat hammer and beat to less than 1/4" thick.
Place sliced jalapenos on steak and roll them up.
After you make the roll, rap with bacon , use toothpics to hold bacon on.
Cook on grill or broil them to your liking.
Right before you take them out melt a piece of pepper jack cheese on top.
[/ol]

SwampTHING 01-09-2007 07:01 AM

All my backstraps get butterfly cut. Put Montreal steak seasoning on them and they hit the bbq,, cook too the most medium rare!

I dont know why people marinate backstrap with italian dressing,, all you taste is italian dressing afterwards,, might as well eat salad!

Alsatian 01-09-2007 03:13 PM

This feeds my family of five, provided they are rationed and eat other side dishes

1 venison backstrap, cut into 1/2" or 3/4" steaks
1/2 cup pinot noir red wine
thyme
6 juniper berries
1/2 cup heavy cream
butter
1/2 cup venison broth (or substitute clear, unseasoned beef broth)

Crush the juniper berries. Mix with about 1/2 teaspoon thyme and 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper. Place the backstrap steaks in a marinade container (I use a gallon zip-lock bag). Sprinkle the juniper berries, thyme, and pepper over the steaks. Pour the wine over the steaks. Close the marinade container and refrigerate overnight, occasionally turning the steaks in the marinade.

Take 1/2 stick of butter and melt it in a small pot or pan over medium heat. Skim off the scum that floats to the top of the melted butter. Pour off the clear yellow liquid into a cup, leaving the milky deposits in the bottom of the pan. This clear yellow liquid is "clarified butter" and will be used to cook the steaks at a higher temperature where non-clarified butter would burn.

Remove the venison steaks from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Pat the steaks dry. Salt and pepper the steaks and then fry them in 1/8" of clarified butter in a small frying pan. Do this frying on high heat, about 90 seconds per side, maybe 2 minutes per side. You want the insides to be pink. When cooked, transfer the steaks to a heated plate, cover with aluminum foil, and place in a warm oven (heat the plate by turning the oven on for 5 minutes and then turning off). Add the marinade, being careful to include the thyme and juniper berries,and venison broth to the frying pan and boil rapidly, scraping loose any brown juices deposited by the steaks when they cooked. When the liquid is reduced to about 1/3 its original volume (I actually will pre-reduce both the broth and the marinade -- the steaks sitting on paper towels draining at this time -- before beginning the frying to reduce the time it takes for this liquid volume reduction action), add the heavy cream and cook until it is as thick as you like it. Serve the steaks with the cream sauce in a separate gravy bowl. This is really good, and every one I have served it to has loved it -- kids and adults.

Do not screw up and leave the oven on and then put the venison steaks into this oven! The steaks will continue to cook in there and become over done!!! You just want to keep the steaks warm, not cook them!!!