Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 what do you do with your backstrap? >

what do you do with your backstrap?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

what do you do with your backstrap?

Old 03-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what do you do with your backstrap?

I will trade ANYONE who turns backstrap into jerky 3 pounds of deer roast for every 1/2 pound of backstrap! Making backstrap into jerky is like making filet mignon into jerky BIG NO NO. As far as how I cook back strap I use all of the above (cept the jerky part). Almost any way you cook it is excellent!
Old 03-17-2007, 12:43 PM

My personal fav. is to marinate them in butter and brown sugar (overnight if you can wait), melt the butter and add brown sugar to dissolve it. Then I wrap them in bacon and toothpicks and cook very slowly (for at least an hour)on the grill on some nonstick tin foil. I set the grill on low and prop the lid open about 6 inches. Also while they are cooking I baste them in barbeque sauce. You will have the neighbors mouths watering!! They are DELICIOUS! I have had many people who dont care for venison try them and they love em. good luck and enjoy!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:21 AM
voz
Fork Horn

I just grilled one up...cut in half, marinade in terriaki sauce and a little garlic powder for 30min...put it on a hot grill (mine says 500 degrees)...and cook to medium. Slice in 1/2 inch medalions and be ready to defend them because everyone will want them.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SwampTHING
All my backstraps get butterfly cut. Put Montreal steak seasoning on them and they hit the bbq,, cook too the most medium rare!

I dont know why people marinate backstrap with italian dressing,, all you taste is italian dressing afterwards,, might as well eat salad!
Try some olive oil, Montreal Steak seasoning and a little Worcestershire sauce. Stay close to the grill as the olive oil can get the flames going. Like SwampThing says, keep it medium rare at the most.

Outstanding!
Old 12-04-2010, 02:13 AM
Spike

butterfly then throw them on the grill what eles do you need to do? keep them RARE its meat you need the blood...
Old 12-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bowflex
Try some olive oil, Montreal Steak seasoning and a little Worcestershire sauce. Stay close to the grill as the olive oil can get the flames going. Like SwampThing says, keep it medium rare at the most.

Outstanding!
I use Montreal Steak Seasoning, also. I use soy sauce instead, tho. The recipe is on the side of the bottle. I marinate a whole loin over night, let come to room temp., throw on the grill til pink in the middle, let rest for 5 minutes, and slice into chops as wanted. Easiest and tastiest marinade I have found.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I can tell you what not to do..DON'T Cook IN Crock Pot..dries it out

I fry bacon to get grease...Cut in 1/4 inch thick pieces..salt and pepper or Montreal Steak Seasoning
QUick fry.
Say Blessing.
THEN bring skillet to table and serve..BEST when served HOT out of the pan
Old 12-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Spike

Totally agree about the crockpot. I only cook deer (from older deer) in the crockpot if it is a stew. I fixed some today with taters, carrots, onion, celery, and plenty of gravy. Hits the spot on a cold and windy day like today.

I also cook loin sliced into chops then marinated as I posted above. I then sear chops on both sides on high heat (let your pan pre-heat before putting in chops) then take the pan off of the heat put the lid on and let set for about 5 minutes. Turns out tender every time. Atleast for the yearling and young doe loins.

Last edited by marshyhope; 12-07-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Spike

one of my favorites:

Cut into medallions, heat up butter, onions, garlic, and mushrooms in a cast iron skillet, drop the steaks in and drizzle gravy master overtop, mixing it in, (gravy master is found near the other gravies and spices in supermarkets, little orange capped bottle), cook for a little until meat is cooked to your liking, serve with whatever sides you want, they won't be touched until the meat is gone.

A little off from backstraps, but for good italian pulled sandwiches:
Take roasts from hind quarters, cook in roaster with beef broth onions, garlic until meat is falling apart. Pull the meat apart and put in crockpot, add peppers, onions, mushrooms, italian seasoning, splash of liquid smoke or worscheister sauce, and the rest of the beef broth from the roaster, may need to add a little more if there isn't much left, and let cook on high setting for an hour or so, until the peppers and onions have softened up some, serve on a bun. Add a piece of american cheese if you want. Mouth watering sandwiches.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

I tried this as a trial last year and I have done a couple more and it's been a big hit. I soak the whole backstrap overnight in a marinade 1 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup soy sauce, and Montreal steak seasoning. Then I fill my smoker with bark from my hickory tree and smoke them until they reach about 135 degrees. I take them off and let them sit for a few more minutes and then slice them as desired. I doe the loins the same way and they usually cook in about 15-20 minutes in the smoker. We snack on them until the backstraps are done (30 minutes to and hour depending on how big they are). I usually keep my smoker at about 275. This is one of those recipes that I can feed to women and children that swear they would never eat deer meat and they love it.

Quick Reply: what do you do with your backstrap?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.