Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 what do you do with your backstrap? >

what do you do with your backstrap?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

what do you do with your backstrap?

Old 12-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BuckHunter92
well i was just wondering what all of you guys do with your backstrap.. how you marinade and cook it and stuff.. we havnt tried much yet because it is really good just broiled with some seasoning on it or something.. or even fried.. i just wondered what are some good marinades or seasonings that you guys use and how you cook your backstrap
thanks

Dude U just answered your own question!!! just cook it so it tastes good for U...if it ain't broke don't worry about fixin it.
I have never understood folks that go to all the trouble of covering up the taste of venison!!!! If ya don't like it don't go hunting and shoot a deeer!!!!
Now if they are hunting in the rut then I can understand tryin to cover up the taste, as far as I'm concerned a deer in the ruts just basicly dog food!!! hell we had a yellow lab wouldn't even eat it!!!!! LOL!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I got a new recipe from a pro on HNI..After I try it..I will share..Sounds like some work..but he's been huning forever and swears the club members fight over it..

I cook mine lkke Christine as well..I don't know why but my buck this year..was..well tough is an understatement..this new recipe is supposed to take care of tough...

I plan to try this on Christmas Eve..I will only share the recipe if it's a 5 STAR WINNER!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Spike

backstrap I generally steak, put montreal seasoning and sear rare on a real hot fire.

Tenders: I try and keep em whole. This year I took my elk tenders and made a mushroom duxelle, seared the tenders, laid them one atop the other and wrapped in phyllo dough and backed for 20 min, made a great wellington.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Well..my ole buck was tough so....

I bought a cuber off of Walmart Online for 97.00

I cut loin in 1/2 inch thick slices..
run through cuber once..
Heat a cast iron with a 2 slices of bacon
Salt and pepper medalions
Quick fry both sides and ..they are cut with a fork tender..taste is wonderful
Old 02-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Spike

cut it into cubes, wrap it in bacon, grill it.....you can also put pepper jack once it's done if you want.....great stuff
Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

1. I cut the backstrap into 3/4" thick steaks, usually at the time I'm preparing them for cooking (when I butcher, I keep the backstrap whole, maybe cutting a meal-sized piece into two pieces to make the package more conveniently shaped).

2. I marinade overnight in 1/2 cup pinot noir (red) wine, 8 crushed juniper berries, 1/2 teaspoon of thyme , and 1/2 bay leaf crumbled. I put this in a plastic zip-lock back, press out the surplus air, and zip it closed. I then store in the refrigerator overnight.

3. The next day I begin a sauce by taking 1/2 cup of pinot noir wine, 1 cup of game broth (substitute chicken broth if you don't have any game broth -- I save my ribs and odd meat trimmings when butchering, simmer this with leek, onion, parsley, carrots for awhile; remove the bones and vegetables after about an hour or two; then I boil this down rapidly. I skim any fat -- usually not much, pour off the relatively clear liquid and leave the cruddy stuff in the bottom of the pot; the clear liquid I store in small zip-lock bags in 1 cup quantities and freeze), 6 crushed juniper berries, 1/2 teaspoon of thyme, a 1/2 bay leaf crumbled. I boil this stuff to reduce the volume of liquid to about 1/2 to 3/4 cup. I then set aside covered.

4. I make some clarified butter by melting sweet unsalted butter in a small pan or small skillet. I skim the scum off the top and throw away. I pour off the clear yellow liquid into a cup or small bowl, leaving the milky-looking solids at the bottom in the pan. This clear liquid stuff is referred to as "clarified butter" and can be cooked at a higher temperature without burning.

5. I drain the steaks and throw away the marinade. I pat the steaks dry on paper towels. I salt and pepper the steaks on both sides. I then dredge them in a light coating of flour. I heat some of the clarified butter in a skillet until it is pretty hot -- you will learn over time how hot to make it. I then put in a first flight of the steaks and cook about 90 seconds per side. This cooking time needs to adapt to both the heat of the skillet and the thickness of the steaks. For me, 90 seconds per side is about enough. Cook both sides. Check the doneness of one of the steaks by cutting into the middle with a sharp knife. The interior should remain pink or even redish. Put the cooked steaks on a pre-warmed plate and cover to keep warm. It is likely that the steaks will continue to cook just a bit further after removing from the pan. Cook the remainder of the steaks in this same way, adding more clarified butter when needed.

6. With the steaks out of the pan, pour the sauce liquids into the frying pan and stir to lift up the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Pour in 1/2 to 3/4 cup of heavy cream. Keep stirring while this bubbles. When the cream sauce has thickened to your liking -- it takes me about 5 minutes on relatively high boil (stir! man, stir!!!) -- pour into a sauce bowl and serve the steaks and the sauce at once. Oh, also, just before you pour off the sauce, adjust the salt to your taste. If you salt earlier, the sauce will become saltier as liquid boils off, thus salt only at the end.

This sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. I have explained at length because some of these techniques may be unfamiliar to people here. The result is delicious. Drink the pinot noir with the steaks.

I throw away the marinade liquid because I have found some of the protein leaches out of the steaks while marinading, and when I make a sauce with this liquid, the protein creates a thick foaming scum that is unattractive. This doesn't hurt the flavor, but it makes the sauce kind of a funny texture and looks lumpy. The cost is just the loss of the 1/2 cup of wine -- big deal.

Last edited by Alsatian; 02-18-2011 at 08:21 AM.