Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Do rabbits taste good?

Old 11-28-2006, 10:37 AM

Default RE: Do rabbits taste good?

UPDATE! Dont try that "Big Guy Hasenpfeffer "! It was gross. The rabbit meat was great but I had to scrape all of the sauce off of it. I dont know, maybe I did something wrong.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big Guy......I like the looks of the Sweet and Sour recipe. After reading it, I noticed the bottle of sweet red wine. I live in Canada and our measurements are different. We call a bottle a "26"(26 oz). Is this the size you are talking about? Also, as to the vinegar, is it the regular kind? When soaking meat...is it a 50/50 mixture of water and vinegar?
We shoot lots of Jackrabbits up here during the winter so I am looking forward to trying these recipes.

Ron
Old 11-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

Gandilamont
Sorry to hear you didn't like the hassenpeffer recipe, Every one that has tried it always likes it.

rbduck
I live in Canada too. and a bottle of wine is 26 oz. standard in North America. I use distilled white vinegar.

here are a few more to try.

Rabbit and Broccoli Casserole
1 rabbit
1 large onion, chopped
4 carrots, diced
½ cup celery, diced
1 package frozen broccoli spears
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Cover rabbit with water in a large pot; add the onion, carrot, celery and salt. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until meat comes off the bones. Cool and remove meat from bones. Place meat in the bottom of a glass-baking dish, layer with broccoli and add the soup. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Remove top with cheese and place back in oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Rabbit Cacciatore

2 rabbits, cut into serving pieces
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
½ lb. Mushrooms, sliced
1 jar spaghetti sauce
Brown rabbit pieces in a little oil. Add onions, peppers, and mushrooms, cook until onions are clear. Add the spaghetti sauce. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes or until rabbit is tender. Serve over rice or noodles.

BBQ RABBIT

2-3 Rabbits
1 large onion chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
2 green peppers chopped
1 can tomato juice 14 oz.
1 cup water
1 cup vinegar
½ cup ketchup
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup butter
1 tsp. Salt

Soak rabbit over night in vinegar ,salt , water and Bay leaf. Parboil 10 minutes cool until you can handle meat. De-bone meat ant cut into bite size pieces. Boil all ingredients , then pour over cut up rabbit in a casserole dish . Bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours . Serve over rice or noodles.

Rabbit Delight

1 young rabbit, cut into serving pieces
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
¼ cup lemon juice
¾ cup orange juice
2 green peppers, chopped
½ cup chopped mushrooms
1 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
Pinch of ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
Brown rabbit pieces in oil. Add remaining ingredients and cover. Simmer on low heat until tender. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes

Jumping Jack Casserole

1 rabbit, cut into bite sized pieces
2 Tbs. oil
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups fresh bread cubes
1 onion, chopped
2 med. Potatoes, shredded
1 carrot, shredded
½ cup frozen peas
1 can cream of chicken soup
¾ cup milk
In large skillet heat oil, add basil, garlic, oregano and bread cubes. Toss to coat well. Bake bread cubes on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, they should be brown and crisp. Sauté onion and rabbit in the same skillet until browned. Add bred, veggies, soup and milk mix well. Pour into a buttered casserole dish bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

Mesquite Rabbit
2 Rabbits cut up
1 onion cut into rings
1-cup celery chopped
1 bay leaf
5 TBS. Open Pit Mesquite and tangy BBQ sauce
2 cups water
salt pepper to taste
oil
1 cup flour

Mix salt and pepper with flour dredge rabbit pieces and fry in oil until browned.
Add water and bay leaf to a 4-quart pressure cooker. Put rack in cooker, add rabbit, onions, celery, BBQ sauce. Close cooker and cook 25-30 minutes.

Greek Rabbit
10 potatoes , quartered
2-3 rabbits, cut into serving portions
1 cup olive oil
½ cup lemon juice
1 onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp. lemon pepper
1 tsp. oregano
Parboil potatoes in water for 10 minutes, drain set aside. Arrange rabbit pieces in a large baking dish, top with potatoes. Combine all other ingredients in a bowl mix with a whisk, then pour over the rabbit and potatoes. Bake at 350 for 1 hr. or until tender.

Nuggets McRabbit
Boneless rabbit meat, cut into bite sized pieces
½ cup flour
½ cup Bisquick
¼ tsp. onion powder
¼ tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1 egg
2 Tbs. oil
1 cup club soda
Oil for frying
Mix flour, bisquick salt and spices. In a separate bowl beat egg until frothy, add oil and beer. Mix and add to the flour. Mix well. Dredge rabbit in plain flour then dip in the batter. Fry in oil until golden brown on all sides. Serve with BBQ sauce or honey mustard.

Almond Cream Cottontail
2 cottontails cut into serving pieces
Flour for dredging
2 tsp. celery salt
2 tsp. paprika
2tsp. Salt
½ tsp. curry powder
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. black pepper
½ cup melted margarine or butter
¾ cup sliced almonds
11/2 cup half and half
½ cup sour cream
3Tbs. Dry bread crumbs with 1 Tbs. Melted butter
Rinse rabbit pieces and coat with flour. Blend celery salt, paprika, salt, curry powder, oregano, and pepper with melted butter. Coat rabbit pieces in butter spice mixture. Arrange in a single layer in a 9x13-baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with almonds. Pour half-and-half between the rabbit pieces.
Cover and bake in a 325 preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, basting occasionally. Uncover and remove about ½ cup of the sauce. Gradually stir the removed sauce into the sour cream and blend well. Pour evenly over the rabbit and sprinkle with the buttered crumbs.
Bake uncovered an additional 30 minutes until the breadcrumbs are browned. Serve over rice.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

my wife never ate wild game before I met her and now she can't wait until I go rabbit hunting. She loves it. The best recipe I ever had (andI've tried tons) is pretty simple.

Boil the rabbit and pick all the meat from the bone. Add butter to a frying pan and saute sliced mushrooms, chopped onions and garlic. once this is cooked pretty well add the de-boned rabbit. Now add some worchestershire sauce and montreal steak seasoning (that stuff is AWESOME). and cook until all the onions are fully cooked and the meat is finished. If it's a little watery I had a little flower and water mixture to thicken. I don't measure just season to tase and I can't get enough of it. I make deer tips the same way. Once you get the right amounts down you'll be hard pressed to try another recipe.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:15 AM
Host of Hosts

We have an abondance of cooton tails where I live.

mmmmmm! I just love coonton tails.Sorry couldn't resist. I really like them, the problem is that we don't have the habitat required for them around my area. about the only place to find them is in city limits and along railroad tracks and they are posted now.