Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 can one freeze tomatoes and peppers ?? >

can one freeze tomatoes and peppers ??

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

can one freeze tomatoes and peppers ??

Old 08-31-2006, 09:02 PM

Default RE: can one freeze tomatoes and peppers ??

Freezing Tomatoes
Tomatoes may be frozen whole, sliced, chopped, or puréed. Additionally, you can freeze them raw or cooked, as juice or sauce, or prepared in the recipe of your choice. Thawed raw tomatoes may be used in any cooked-tomato recipe. Do not try to substituted them for fresh tomatoes, however, since freezing causes their texture to become mushy. Tomatoes should be seasoned just before serving rather than before freezing; freezing may either strengthen or weaken seasonings such as garlic, onion, and herbs.
Preparation. Select firm, ripe tomatoes for freezing. Sort the tomatoes, discarding any that are spoiled. Wash them in clean water as recommended above. Dry them by blotting with a clean cloth or paper towels.
Freezing whole tomatoes with peels
Prepare tomatoes as described above. Cut away the stem scar. Place the tomatoes on cookie sheets and freeze. Tomatoes do not need to be blanched before freezing. Once frozen, transfer the tomatoes from the cookie sheets into freezer bags or other containers. Seal tightly. To use the frozen tomatoes, remove them from the freezer a few at a time or all at once. To peel, just run a frozen tomato under warm water in the kitchen sink. Its skin will slip off easily.
Freezing peeled tomatoes
If you prefer to freeze peeled tomatoes, you can wash the tomatoes and then dip them in boiling water for about 1 minute or until the skins split. Peel and then freeze as noted above.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:05 PM

Freezing
Bell or Sweet Peppers
Preparation – Select crisp, tender, green or bright red pods. Wash, cut out stems, cut in half and remove seeds. If desired, cut into 1/2-inch strips or rings.
Heated – Good for use in cooking. Water blanch halves 3 minutes, strips or rings 2 minutes. Cool promptly, drain and package, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and freeze.
Unheated – Good for use in uncooked foods because they have a crisper texture, or in cooked foods. Package raw, leaving no headspace. Seal and freeze.

Freezing
Hot Peppers
Preparation – Wash and stem peppers. Package, leaving no headspace. Seal and freeze.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:25 PM

I canned all mine into salsa so far
Old 09-09-2006, 09:02 PM
DM

I like to dropmy tomatoesinto boiling water for a couple mins untill the skins slip, then put them into cold water. Once skinned and cored, i put them into a big kettle on the stove, adding spices that i like. I bring them to a boil and simmer them down a bit, then letting them cool. Once cooled, idipper thetomatoes intoone quart freezer bags, and freeze!

One qt. bags work out quite well to make sauces, chilie, or what ever i want all winter long. It goes along pretty fast once you get organized.

Ipickedand took care ofa 5 gallon pail of tomatoes eariler today...

DM