Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Good, easy roast recipe.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Good, easy roast recipe.

I picked my 1st deer from the processor today , does anyone have a good recipe for a good easy roast ?
Old 10-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Good, easy roast recipe.

Place roast in crock pot (frozen, or thawed)
Place various chopped veggies in crock pot (carrots, cellery, potatoes, and a clove of garlic)
Sprinkle favorite seasonings over everything
Pour water in crock pot until roast is covered
Put crock pot on low until the food is cooked
A frozen roast can take up to 12 hours to cook completely. A thawed one can be done in 4.

Good luck.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:17 AM

Put roast in crock
Fill with water
Add 1 packet brown gravy mix
Add1 packet Au Jus
Add 1 packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Add veggies and tater of choice
Cook all day on low
Best roast you will ever eat, very tender
Old 10-19-2005, 09:23 AM

Thats the about the same recipe that i use huntermike...Just had it this weekend during the opening of black pwder season here in GA. (don't own a bp..wife hasn't given me the ok) still use a bow...We ate like kings out at camp....
Old 10-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do something like Mike. LIPTON ONION SOUP PACKET and veggies all day in crock pot. AWESOME
Old 10-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

3 LBS venison roast
6 juniper berries, crushed
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teapsoon pepper
3 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour

Crush the juniper berries. I do this in a mortar and pestle, but you could do it with a pop bottle on a wooden cutting board, rolling over the berries like rolling dough. If you can't get juniper berries, just skip them. Put the juniper berries, thyme, marjoram, salt, and pepper on the outside of the roast, patting the spices onto the meat.

Place about 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy casserole that has a lid, just enough to help keep the roast from sticking excessively. Heat the casserole on the stove over high heat. Add the roast and sear on all sides. To do this, just let the meat sizzle on one side over high heat about 3 to 5 minutes, until browned. When browned all over, add 1 1/2 cups of water to the pot. You want the water to come about 1/3 or 1/2 the way up the roast. It helps if you have a casserole that just barely contains the roast. Bring to a boil. Cover. Place in a oven pre-heated to 350 degrees. Every 30 minutes, remove the casserole from the oven, turn the meat over, and add additional water if needed. Turning the meat over helps keep from drying out the meat on one side.

Melt the butter in a small pot or skillet. Add the flour and stir into melted butter. Let the flour and butter mixture bubble with a low heat under it for about five minutes. Then turn the heat off. This will be used to thicken the sauce later.

After cooking for 3 1/2 hours, the meat should be done and tender. Remove the meat to a cutting board. You should have about 1 cup of liquid in the casserole that can be made into a gravy. If you have too much liquid, boil the liquid down rapidly -- perhaps in a wide skillet -- to concentrate flavor. If you have too little liquid, add some. Add some of the flour-butter mixture to the liquid and stir. Simmer the liquid. After the liquid has cooked for a couple of minutes you will know how much thickening the flour-butter addition has provided. If you want more thickness, add more flour-butter addition, adding just a little at a time so you don't over do it and make the gravy undesirably thick. Adjust the taste by adding salt -- slowly so you don't over do it!

Meanwhile you have sliced the meat into thick 1/2" slices and placed it on a serving plate. Serve the gravy in a separate bowl or dish.

I have cooked many venison and pronghorn roasts in this fashion and everyone likes it.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:21 PM

I also use the lipton soup factor, though it's pretty high in salt. I just add one pack of the soup mix to the roast and any vegetables you like. Seal that upin a double thickness of alumnum foil and put in a dutch oven in a 300 degree oven for several hours depending on how much meat you're cooking. So tender that it falls apart and is very tasty.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:24 PM

Also. Try this one for chops. Marinate overnight in 1 cup soy sauce, a cup dark beer, 2 tbsps brown sugar, 2tbsps dijon mustard, a couple of teaspoons of chopped garlic. Then broil the chops for about 4-5 minutes on each side, basting them in the marinade when turning them over. Some goooood eating.