Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 dog house for archery >

dog house for archery

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dog house for archery

Old 05-11-2005, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: dog house for archery

I just used my new doghouse last weekend,
setup was easy,
havent figured out how to close it back up yet,
i didnt have a stool, and found the windows a bit high for sitting on the ground,
for kneeling the view was better but could only stay in that position for so long,
had enough room to draw,
i'd say its a good tool for specific hunts, but wouldnt recomend it for every hunt,
also i am very impatient and like to move around.
also while i had great sunny weather i did notice lots of small holes around the roof and seems,
looked like it would leak like heck if it rained,
Old 05-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Terasec,

i didnt have a stool, and found the windows a bit high for sitting on the ground,
for kneeling the view was better but could only stay in that position for so long,
had enough room to draw,
The folding stool that Gametracker sells is excellent for use inside blinds like the Doghouse.

Those little black holes you mentioned are probably just small spots where the ShadowGuard blackening covering did not take to the nylon material. All of the blinds I have owned..Doghouse, Doghouse TSC, Penthouse and Hunters View Waterfowler Blind all have them but none actually leaked when it was raining.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gametracker
I have been looking for a good seat for the blind. I searched on google and couldn't turn up a fold stool by grametracker. Found some from Ameristep.

Could you supply a link?

Thanks
Tom
Old 05-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

I have one the 60X60 doghouse. I believe there is one that is 65x65. Mine is barley big enough for me to bow shoot out of. I have to draw low in the corner and then move the bow in position. Then my elbow is maybe a inch form the back if not touching the back. I have the Brick house which is also 60x60 but since it does not dome at all and is more of a square it is plenty of room. I would say spend the few extra $'s and get the brick house.

BTW, I have a 28" draw.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

I got a dog house last fall & took 2 deer from it. A doe & a buck.

Heres a few pics of the buck.

With a 28" draw shooting 27.75" arrows I fit just fine but it is a bit tight. I'v also got a hunters view lodge I think its called thats alot bigger. 7'X7' & 7' high. lotsa room to stretch out in that one & even tho it doesn't have the mesh its big enuff that if you sit back away from the windows they dont see you, you'll swear they can when theyre looking right at you but so far they've either just been looking at the blind or beyond it. I got 4 from that blind last year. I'll be putting the mesh in the windows now tho since they worked just fine from the doghouse. I was skeptical about shooting thru a screen, but it does work.

I'd say get a big one & a small one as theres times when one or the other will be better for various reasons.
Nice to be able to hunt rain or snow & stay totally dry.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:21 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Gametracker
I have been looking for a good seat for the blind. I searched on google and couldn't turn up a fold stool by grametracker. Found some from Ameristep.

Could you supply a link?

Thanks
Tom
I never bought any special stool for mine. I do like the blind best for consistantly "good spots" and leave it set up there a lot. I use a folding camp stool most of the time in it. For turkeys with a shot gun we put a plastic law chair in there with arms on it and every thing. Cold pop, hot coffee, sandwiches... whew wee baby. It was like sitting in the living room watching the out door channel and shooting at the TV, lol. The ground was soft so I just scruntched around until the legs sank in to the ground to put it at the level I liked.

That back pack bag that comes with it is great too. I put decoys or anything else I want to carry in there with the blind and when I had the blind set up as a base camp I used that bag to carry anything else around all season.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

I bought one of those camo buckets with the swivel lid on it and it is the perfect height for me. The pad on the lid isn't real thick so I have one of those self inflating seats I use on top of it. The self inflating seat has a belt attached to it so its easy to carry. The biggest draw back to the bucket is its a little cumbersome but not too bad. The swivel seat is great and you can carry stuff inside it.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

It usually sells for about $20 most places. Just type in "Game Tracker stool" in any of the search engines. I have four of them that we use in two blind for both deer and goose hunting.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

I have a doghouse without TSC. It works...... But it's quite cramped. I couldn't shoot through the screen because my bow would hit it. My brother missed 2 turkeys last year, and killed a nice Tom out of it a couple of weeks ago. We have to use it with the big window open. It works for Turkeys but deer look at it pretty hard with that big black hole, when the window is open. Just dress in all black and you can get away with murder in there for movement.

I left it out in the field last fall for a couple of weeks and now its faded real red. I called Amerastep and they will be replacing it at no charge.

For my next blind I will spend the extra money and get a Double Bull!